Orange is changing- UPDATE 14th November

Do you need to rewire the house? Would a multiset of cordless phones work plugged into your voip service?

I did understand what David was saying and would also point out that I mentioned that I use Whatsapp. We also use skype.
I accept the benefits of VOIP and associated savings but if one has poor broadband which sometimes drops out totally then surely there is a case to be made for retaining the ‘fixe’ until such time as Orange up their game?
The alternative is wandering around the garden waving the phone about or jumping in the car. We have tried ‘femto’ boxes and all that but to no avail.

I suppose if you have bought a house with an unusable internet connection and no mobile coverage a landline might make more sense. For the other 99.99% €240 is an expensive insurance policy.

I did not say that and I believe you well know it. Some people can be somewhat confrontational.

The phones don’t need much of a re-wire, the current location of the Livebox is no good long term so it will move one junction box up the cable where I will break the existing wiring so that the rest of the house will then connect to the Livebox phone port rather than the phone line itself.

There are only two phone sockets though, so a DECT system will quite probably get plugged in.

We use a UPS for the livebox, desktop, phone etc, less than €100 and includes a parafoudre. Can even run the phone line through it so everything can stay plugged in during storms and the associated power outages.

'scuse my ignorance, but what is ups apart from a parcel delivery service?

A UPS is an Uniteruptable Power Supply - it is a big battery that automatically cuts in during a power cut and can run the router/pc etc. The size of the battery determines how long they can run for.

APC

You connect the ups to the mains then plug the devices into the ups - during a power cut the battery will run the devices. They also serve to minimise power spikes.

1 Like

I think I need to get a ups. Thanks for the info.

Yep… these really are great… and such a selection…

After due reflection, OH chose the APC Back-UPS Pro 900 for our situation…

Phew, it has more than proved its worth… :relaxed:

and… I’ve just seen that storms are heading our way… :thinking:

Thanks. Think we should look into getting one as OH is stuffed if we go offline while he is working.

You do need to be realistic with the capacity of the battery against the draw of the devices you are running. They are normally for short power cuts.

1 Like

Very true

If you just have the Livebox on the UPS to keep the phone available then pretty much any UPS will run for a good long while. Be aware that the other end of the connection (the DSL equipment that you connect to) might be relying on the same mains supply as you are and will be on its own battery backup which is typically sized for a few hours of power loss.

If you have a computer connected which you wish to keep running then you need to size the UPS accordingly.

It would be interesting to know how @Stella gets on during power cuts - does the internet service remain live?

Hi Mat… when the storm of 4th July… hit us… we lost power for 23 hrs… and the telephone line for several days…

Thanks to the UPS I had plenty of time to finish what I was working on, save my work and close-down… but after that I was involved in assisting my friends and neighbours… as everyone was in a state… (no work on the internet of course)

When the power eventually came back on (we know if was 23 hours)… the UPS whirred and did whatever it does to recharge… but the Internet was still unavailable as the landlines were all down…

Mainly, we got the UPS to help us with the many spikes - high and low - that afflict our electricity supply… and to safeguard during storms etc…

Mini cuts (a blasted nuisance) were messing things up as well. … but no more … yippee :relaxed: the power cuts out… lights go off… and I continue working…:thinking::roll_eyes::hugs:… then the lights flick back on… so what…

1 Like

Ever since I changed to using a laptop not a desktop I’ve not had to worry about losing mains power when working as they switches instantly to battery power. More recently I’ve taken to using my tablet for most things and that’s even more straightforward.

OH finds his Nexus very useful… but, for various reasons I like a full-size keyboard, a mouse…and a huge screen, so use the desktop in our “office”.

There was a time when I used to attach a full sized keyboard and screen to my laptop but I soon discovered that I was happy using its own keyboard and screen.

We all have our preferences… :relaxed:

I don’t mind my laptop keyboard and screen, but I need a proper mouse for anything “serious”.

1 Like