OUTRAGEOUS taxe de séjour increases!

We used to absorb it until it went up in 2018, but no way we can absorb 69€ on a rental of 395€!

I’m sorry if I’m missing the point here but isn’t it being run on a level playing field?
The TdS is not intended as a taxe on the owner/promotor of the accommodation but the client/renter. If the accommodation remains attractive as a rental, people will still be interested in it at the price advertised (on a like for like basis) and if advised/reminded in advance that there is a taxe to pay, (is that a legal requirement even?) it is for the customer to decide what represents good value in comparison with other options available.
Or am I being terribly thick?
Do holidaymakers really make a choice based on the price in isolation from the facilities provided? Surely this is a straightforward business proposition…
Surely this is an area for a contractual term or «force majeure» to protect the business interests of the owner :thinking:

If you think that a level playing field is where the hotel lobby negotiate special deals which are unavailable to gite owners, think again.

Well Jane, one man’s meat is another’s poison…
Perhaps from the hotel lobby’s perspective, this represents a good deal for employment and the wider economy… you can’t argue with that, can you?

Fair enough…

Our local BdTourism told me to show TdS apart from the advertised rental rate… but that was many years ago and perhaps things have evolved… and perhaps it was to keep the book-keeping simple for them and for us…

Must admit I have always seen TdS listed separately… and seen it as an unavoidable extra…

but… there we are… :zipper_mouth_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

We are currently renovating our gite with a view to renting it out, when the current situation improves. Having read this thread, it would make sense to me to include it in the advertising. The price of the gite, depending on the time of year, plus TDS (subject to change) and then it is clear what the price is and that the TDS must be paid separately depending on the charge at the time. If it does regularly increase then including ‘subject to change’ in your advertising it will be clear to the client that this is at their expense when they stay.

2 Likes

What has employment to do with it?
All the hospitality sector has been very badly hit and putting up charges when people are still wary of going out seems to me one way to continue to increase unemployment.

I think the deadline is 1st October… when it comes to setting the rate of Taxe de Séjour… which is then to be applied for the following year…

so you will be able to keep en eye on things… it’s not supposed to change willy-nilly throughout the current year… :upside_down_face:

Yup, you are missing the point. We can rent our gite in low season for 395€, but the year we decided to increase to 420€ we had no bookings. It can be very price sensitive as people look at the overall cost. They don’t give a hoot whether it’s tax or rental, it is just what they have to pay.

We are classed 4* and our TdS would be 69€ for a week. If we had a rubbish gite with no stars the TdS on exactly the same 395€ rental would be 11.85€. That is not a level playing field as we are being heavy penalised for providing a good product.

2 Likes

so, no willy-nilly, Gilly :grin:

1 Like

all this reminds me of the furore which would follow a Budget increase… which had to be applied the next day. (talking of UK of course)

Good grief… normally good-natured folk became moody/furious with the poor landlord who was only following the rules… and charging the new price 1d a pint up on the day before…

and, as for asking the landlord to absorb the increase and keep the price the same as yesterday… :zipper_mouth_face:

those were tough times…

1 Like

I hope that was meant as a joke or at least tongue in cheek

how did you come to the conclusion the lack of bookings was solely and only because of the price increase? Were other factors not in contention here?
Of course people will look at the total cost but will match that against what is being provided. If a competitor is offering a better deal, that’s market forces and you may have to get used to lard rather than jam :wink:
Once again, sorry if this offends, but did you perform any form of business analysis as to the actual reason behind the lack of bookings or was the evidence circumstantial - ie next year after lowering the price you had bookings… Appreciate it’s difficult to ask someone why they didn’t book if you don’t know who they are (were) in the first place…

Covid is the cause of the loss of income in the hospitality sector, Jane and myself have received nothing from the government even though we have suffered financial loss.
Not a joking matter Eddie.

1 Like

I might be wrong but I thought the reason both Jane’s didn’t receive any government support was because they are in receipt of a pension so rightly or wrongly the government took the view that at least they were receiving some regular income.

2 Likes

I don’t think Eddie meant it as a joke… personally, my even more controversial view is that there is a world of a difference between people who are in the hospitality business for the purpose of business per se as opposed to making pin money

1 Like

I can tell you that we offer a damned better service than we have ever had when staying in an auberge or such like.
It is a good job you are really not sitting opposite the dinner table from me.

2 Likes

forks, knives or egg on my face :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Haha… that reminded me of an incident between my big brother and his (now sadly deceased) wife at breakfast one morning… she was full of hormones during her second pregnancy and snapped when my brother asked for a cup of tea… she made it, came in to the dining room with it in a mug and poured it straight over his head… he sat there dripping in tea and calmly said completely po-faced “thank you”. I pissed myself at that point…

1 Like

That is hugely controversial. Sure it is not our sole income, but the income is not incidental. We have invested a large amount in renovating a derelict building, and put work and care into providing a good service. And we have to operate on the same terms as bigger businesses, so paying our enterprise tax as well as TdS. So what the ** does who we are have to do with this?

And I accept that taxes go up, and have no problem with that concept at all. But what I am furious about is the disproportional hit on some categories of rental properties rather than others. And with no recognition of the difficulties in rural areas.

Plus they are going to imposing this with hardly any notice. We received email on friday and it is being voted on by our Com-Com this month to apply from 1/1/21. Since they have already produced the posters for 2021 I assume they reckon it will be voted through.

(And yes, the year we put low season price up we got no bookings, the. year after we put them back down and had 9 weeks in low season…that’ enough evidence for me).

And of course we show TdS separately in the advertising on the invoices, as we are obliged to. lowBut that is not the point!

3 Likes

You are obliged by the regulations to list it separately. If you then choose to absorb it into the overall cost you are of course free to do so. However the invoice must still show the amount whether it is included or in addition. It should also give the TVA exemption and state your siret.

And increases are not fixed to 1st October. They can be voted in at all times of year, like ours which will be 14th December. But they tend to come into force on 1st Jan.