OUTRAGEOUS taxe de séjour increases!

These are difficult times and not going to get any easier in the near future…

Paying a tax on behalf of the client… when one has no control over the level/amount of that tax… does seem odd to me… but I note that many folk seem happy to do just that.

As one who likes to “balance the books”… an “unknowable” sum in the forecast would drive me mad… but we are all different.

How do folk manage with increased costs for utilities… ???

Stella simple answer.
The price of renting or staying in a room for holidays needs to be one price.
Extras do not enter into it graciously.
Heating rooms in cold times does not come into my figures because clients do not want to know.
My heating bills are crazy but i had an incident a few years ago when i was heating
several huge rooms and the clients opened the windows wide. I lost hundreds of euros down
to selfish people.
This was my dream to do what I have been doing.
To stop is not ideal,but

2 Likes

Absolutely Barbara. This is an indication of the way things are going and it does not look good.
Perhaps the unintended consequence will be fewer people wanting to stay in self catering or table d’hotes with the knock on for other tourist attractions. in the area. People who want to stay in simpler accommodation than hotels, or to enjoy a rural stay will not change their idea, they just will not come.

This region alone 33 24 and 47 comes alive in spring and summer when the strangers come to enjoy everything which is on offer.
Taking that away is folly.

Reminds me of Min Law who lived with us for many years… she would leave her patio door open “to let in some fresh air”… and forget it… while she wandered into our half of the house… where she spent much of her time.
Meanwhile the boiler would be chugging away, trying to maintain the warmth she needed in her own rooms.

Our bills were going through the roof, until I discovered what she was up to…
We got into a routine of checking her patio door… regularly… :wink: :wink:

If they don’t come… where will they go… wherever they go… they will still be liable to pay TdSejour…

is it payable in uk or other european
sorry i have a crazy keyboard

They won’t come to France.
I think that there will be a big backlash in UK against Macron’s stand in particular against the Brits in the Trade Talks and Boris will sell it as that and they will all believe him, yet again.

perhaps you can attract Europeans… how big is the % of Brits for you usually?? I would have thought Brits were always going to be a “problem” after Brexit… one way or another.

1 Like

what do you mean Stella no on wants to be suppliments
we all know that

my agency attracts mainly brits

sorry Barbara… I don’t know what you are referring to.

Before we confirm any reservations we make it very clear that TdS is an additional charge, as is excess usage of electricity (we allow 8kw/h/day as per GdF guidelines) at cost, and also firewood if needed. Never any problems, but we have very few British clients these days :grin:.

1 Like

Ours too.

adding a tax de sejour is adding a supplimentry charge

We do have Europeans. Mainly Dutch and Belgians.

Ah… if we’re talking about utilities… I was merely wondering how folk decided on their rental price… surely they must allow for Heating/water/cleaning/insurance and all sorts of stuff… a lot of which goes up year on year.

thus, the rental price should increase year on year…

Stella in a large house like mine it is not the same
i can not factor heating into a winter habitation
it will make the price crazy
so not open in winter

Fair enough Barbara… so winter is not your thing… but you are open at other times.

what I am trying to say is that folk must know what it costs for them to run their rental… so that they can fix a price to cover those costs.

The TdSejour should be paid by the client.

It must be difficult for owners who decide to take that cost on their own shoulders. I would have thought the profit margins were already pretty tight.

This is why I am wondering if folk should be rethinking which market they are aiming at …

If Brits are not prepared to pay the TdS and insist that owners pay it for them… then aim at other nationalities…

There is no easy answer… not a case of one things suits everyone… but surely, working hard and seeing the return dwindle …just because clients will not pay a tax for which they are liable… … that does seem dreadfully hard on the owner.

you do what you do best
eat the choc digestives, watch the films or plan bank robberies but
charging the clients seperatly is not the way forward.
We are happy toi carry on even if we are not making fortunes.