Passport/Carte de sejour question

Angoulême Girac and Limoges CHU have always accepted my CdS (since they were issued) for registration. Before that, Limoges accepted my FR permis d C but Angoulême only my UK PP.

1 Like

It’s funny how hospitals vary…
But, since I got “caught out” at one hospital ('cos they changed the rules) I make a point of having our PP’s with us (for such trips). Travelling for treatment only to find there’s a hiccup… is not my idea of fun.

yep, 86€ for adults, 42€ for ados and 17€ for kids. Just renewed my kids CNI and they’ve got the new mini/CB-size, new ones whilst OH and I have the big clunky old ones, all free as you say (or 25€ if you need to replace a lost or stolen one)

1 Like

@vero do you (or does anybody else) happen to know what terrible fate awaits anybody asked by the police etc for identity papers -but who doesn’t have them on them at the time? I keep photos of my passport, CdS and driving license on my phone which is always with me, but I must admit to not carrying hard copy ID.

If you have a nice clear copy and it is just for something unimportant it’ll do, though they might say tss tss naughty. While at school my children always had photocopies of their CNI on them not the actual thing because not worth losing them, but they needed the actual thing for sitting their Bac etc (ID checked at every exam).
But you really need at least one bit of proper ID so maybe use your driving licence, if you get pulled over they will want to see the real thing. I doubt anything awful will happen but you’ll have to go to the local police or gendarmerie with the proper docs within 24 or 48 hours I forget which and it is timewasting and a bore.
We are all supposed to have ID on us always.

1 Like

There’s a little wrinkle I’ve come across. Spain accepts a French carte d’identité, but I have read that it needs to be in date. I have never seen checks, but my carte is now 11 years old, so appears to be out of date, and I believe it cannot be replaced for another 4 years, so I will also be taking my passport to Spain, just in case !
I’ve no idea if this oddity exists in other countries.

Service public …

Vous pouvez demander le renouvellement de votre carte d’identité l’année qui précède sa date d’expiration. Attention : si votre précédente carte a été délivrée entre 2006 et 2013, elle reste valide 5 ans après la date d’expiration qui est indiquée.

Not any more….and if you are controlled you have a choice of possibilities to prove identity ( outside things like BAC ofcourse):

Vous pouvez présenter l’un des documents suivants :

• Titre d’identité (carte d’identité, passeport, permis de conduire)
  • Autre document (acte de naissance, livret de famille, livret militaire, carte d’électeur, carte vitale…)

Le témoignage peut être accepté. Par exemple, la personne qui est avec vous confirme votre identité.

1 Like

Non, aucun texte ne vous oblige à avoir une carte didentité . Néanmoins, si vous êtes soumis à un contrôle didentité , la procédure sera plus longue si vous ne pouvez pas présenter de pièce didentité . Par ailleurs, pour la plupart des démarches, il faut prouver son identité .

[image]

https://www.service-public.fr › vosd…

Est-on obligé d’avoir une carte d’identité ? | service-public.fr

We aren’t legally obliged but it is drummed into us from a young age that we need a pièce d’identité on us any time we are out and about. Because it is a pain if you haven’t got it.
I appreciate this is something British people don’t have drummed into them :joy: I don’t know how it works for foreigners.

Edited to clarify, when I say foreigners I mean non-French people in France.

1 Like

I have carried my passport everywhere in my handbag since I was 18 - even when I wasn’t going anywhere. Otherwise how would anyone know who I am?

1 Like

Oh you did make me chuckle… I’m reminded of my English Gran who told us kids… always wear clean underwear in case you get knocked down and taken to hospital…

Obviously more important to “be clean” than for folk to know who we were… in those days.

1 Like

I can’t believe someone as smart as you @stella hasn’t realised that the perfect solution is to write your name in the back of all your underwear. Then you’re covering both possibilities should they ever be needed :rofl: :briefs: :bikini: :writing_hand:

1 Like

Well said… :rofl:
I spent months (it seemed) labelling all our daughter’s stuff during her school days… and those labels were embroidered… so I only had to stitch 'em.
What a chore that was…
(I never did needlework at school and never got the knack afterwards either).

These days… I do use a biro to mark “blue” or “black” on the tag in my trousers, since it is virtually impossible for me to tell them apart when I’m putting an outfit together… but that’s the extent of my labelling.

1 Like

Surely, a BIC not a Biro?

Nope… I’m from the generation that used a biro… and still do.

For me it depends what language I’m speaking.

~Ah… is this where I confess that I prefer a plume de ma tante… ???

2 Likes

I have always carried my passport since first I had one, just in case, while away from home, I was directed across a national frontier.
The one time I left it in the parked car by mistake, I had my driving licence refused at Clinique Francheville as not being acceptable and I had to walk 2 kms round trip to fetch it.

Hi. It was a joke!

I’m curious, do you actually have a BIRO ball pen? It is the name of the Hungarian inventor of the ball point pen and used generically for ball point pens. BIC, a French company, bought the patent in the1940s and are a major manufacturer of ball point pens these days.
regards Brian

1 Like

I knew you were jesting … but it did get me reflecting on what we did/do call things.

Never called a “ballpoint pen” a Bic from my childhood to nowadays… biro is what it has always been for me and mine…

Used to get a fountain pen and propelling pencil (a boxed set of)… for Christmas some years and one year actually got my first “non-fountain pen” ie ballpoint pen/ biro… wow… that was amazing. This would have been in the 50’s … in UK.

We appear to be of the same era. I used Scheaffer and Waterman fountain pens at school and 6th form up until 1955.

I became interested in BIC during my visits to France after buying a BIC dinghy. Whilst Laszlo Biro invented the ball point pen and took a British patent in 1938 he sold the patent to French manufacturer M. Bich in the 50s who changed the name to BIC. I think a French person would be more familiar with BIC than Biro in relation to pens. A pen branded BIRO would be rare although 30,000 were sold to the RAF in WW2…