Passport stamp on arrival + Etias

we were travelling internationally with a young babe, when the Munich massacre happened…
very difficult/stressful times for ordinary travellers and staff/officials/security…

All change next year when European Entry/ Exit System starts…now that is going to be fun as it seems every none Schengen entrant will be photographed and finger printed on initial visit.
But will stop the wrong stamping of passports.

very interesting… and should be in place for November 2023

Now, why not go the whole hog and get the DNA too?
Scary, but in a few years it may come to that…

On the downside though, isn’t this going to slow up drastically passport control queues for several months, particularly in the tourist season ?

Provided one has the Etias clearance before travelling, it should be quick and easy…

2 Likes

I didn’t realise everything was done before travel, I thought it was at the border at the first time of entry, photos, finger prints etc.

But is this only for non-Schengen nationals who are not resident in a Schengen state, in other words do we who have residency in France have to go through this procedure too, and if so, before we leave for the first time rather than while we are away and before we re-enter for the first time?

Also what happens travelling between Schengen states which at the moment does not need visas if one has a passport and a CdS?

The joys of EU harmonisation - not !
You would have thought by now that the various EU countries would have decided collectively what they were going to do with UK passport holders holding a residency card in an EU member state, when those people crossed a border into the Schengen zone.

Wife and I travelled to Canada in August from France via Brussels airport.
No stamp when leaving France at Lyon airport.
When leaving the Schengen zone in Brussels airport to get to the international departure gates, wife and I go in separate queues through passport control. Wife’s passport gets stamped, mine doesn’t.
On the way back, we flew from Canada via Frankfurt. No stamps on entry into Germany at German passport control.

Similarly, with travel to Ireland from Cherbourg 2 weeks ago - neither of us were stamped leaving France, entering Ireland, or vice-versa.

With such a mess of a system, how is anyone reasonably supposed to prove anything ?

this is from the Connexion Dec 2021

2 Likes

Thank you Stella, I think that answers my question, it doesn’t concern me. :joy:

Of course, it is in the Connexion, not a paper I have ever bought and only occasionally read, but I do know of its reputation. :thinking:

I peek at the Connexion on-line, occasionally… but don’t subscribe… they seem to follow our own topics quite closely though … :wink: :rofl:

but for this topic, I thought they explained it usefully…

1 Like

The explainations always confuse me but in clear terms does that Etias thingy mean that UK resident family members who wish to vist for a holiday have to have one for the price quoted if they come next year?? What about US resident family members who are still british passport holders but green card holders too??

As from November 2023… is the date quoted in all the blurb…
and. if you re-read the explanation… it says quite clearly to whom it will apply.*** (brits amongst others)

the official site also lays out the facts… in a previos post higher up this thread…
as with only one hand I can’t keep copying and pasting… it’s too pauinful…

there is no difference between holiday makers who have family in france and those who do not…

Your pauinful… sounds really painfull @Stella, I do hope it gets better soon. :cry: :roll_eyes:

thank you for your reply, as I hardly ever speak english these days, I often find it a little confusing as my mind automatically tries to convert to french. Sorry you have pain, hope it clears soon for you.

Just for you… :wink: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that ETIAS is diffent and in addition to European EES,

Almost completely separate beasts

ETIAS is the EU pre-auth scheme for people travelling from countries with whom the bloc has a visa waver agreement. EES is the system which will track visitors as they enter and leave the Schengen zone and enforce the 90/180 limit.

3 Likes

But the article states something different to other posts - it says no application necessary for a French resident to return to the ‘schenen’ area - not just France.

and goes on to say Etias doesn’t concern EU residents - are UK France residents ‘EU residents’?

If UK France residents are not ‘EU residents’, then a UK France resident would need an Etias if one was to pop over any of the borders from France - Spain, Italy, Switzerland etc?

Now I’m confused…

it can be confusing… the thing to cling to is the need for EU to know who is coming into their countries from outside EU…
we, living in France… are already here in EU… thus Etias does not concern us… we are accounted for…