Paul Bocuse has died

Exactly Stella. People make choices and if their chosen career does not suit them they have the option to change. Some people enjoy a challenge others chase big money. Each to his own.

I’m sorry, but I don’t think I had ever heard of him before (he died)

We’ll forgive you @Mark :cry:

Actually many teachers earn a lot more than chefs!!!
there are exceptions to the rule but most of these people gain their fortune by
working with the media and not actually cooking in the kitchen.
This I can assure you.

Barbara nobody said they didn’t. Many of the people I know who work or have worked in the restaurant trade did so in a seaside town that relied on the holiday season to generate the majority of their income and although a few lived comfortably none was going to become rich. They did it because it’s what they did.
I can make a comparison though. Just after I qualified as a teacher I was offered a job waiting in a local restaurant. I had to be avaliable six days a week from the beginning of April until the end of September. That job, in six months, would have paid more than my first teaching position did in a year. I took a teaching job as that was what I wanted to do. I never regretted that decision although there were times I questioned my sanity.
At the same time I was offered two other jobs which I have regretted turning down. One was to manage a UK sailing and windsurfing centre on a Greek island and the other was to become a sailing instructor at the RYA’s National Sailing School in Cowes. I applied for the former but was headhunted and offered the latter. At the end of the day I have no real regrets about my choice. I enjoyed an interesting career working with some wonderful and other terrible people, endured the accountability and danger of drowning in paperwork that overcame the profession and came out smiling. I feel very lucky. I know that my friends who followed different routes who feel the same.

Ah but David…I said chefing in a restaurant kitchen!
Not managing a sporting organisation or even a restaurant.
There is a big difference.
The dining room usually is air conditioned and in winter warm and cosy.
The restaurant kitchen …way above 40 degrees…and close to 50.
The methods involved precision , and perfection…or close to.
And then the kitchen had to be cleaned carefully.
Most of you have just been diners in fine restaurants.
Pardon me for being honest.

I hadn’t heard of Paul Bocuse
I haven’t been in the teaching profession or the restaurant trade.
I haven’t even dined in a fine restaurant.
What a mundane life…

Ok Jane I agree with you cooking is totally different from spelling, but when one announces Mr Paul Bocuse’s passing at least one can be sure of spelling his name correctly. That is respect…:persevere::smile::smiley:

2 Likes

Neither have i Chris i have not put a foot in his restaurant, but have heard a lot about him and his cooking abilities.
So sorry he has passed away but at 91 years old he has lived an interesting and passionate life
.Was watching the TV sunday when he was in Tokyo hoping to open three restaurants out there.
A business man and a family man also.

RIP monsieur Paul

Not done on purpose…
And I am respectful as a person but I have a type of dyslexia.
Why on earth should I have done it on purpose?

Chris it is choice …I was brought up on basic food and decided to become a chef.
I have some good stories of my journey…
Not every one likes fine cuisine and certainly not all the time.
Heston B loved eating in Chinese restaurants and his fav sunday lunch was roast
chicken or in summer a barbecue in the garden.

Gosh approaching 90 years old and thinking of expanding!
Amazing to hear this news about Paul Bocous wanting to expand
his empire.
Gives me an ounce of courage to do more before I depart.

Before that offer I had worked in their kitchen and in the kitchen of another restaurant in the same town. I really don’t know why you are continuing with your crusade, I’ve pointed out that different people make different choices and you made yours. Like me you are pleased with your choice. Surely that is enough.

yes my dad was a great chef, my step brother now runs and owns his own restaurant in central manchester and is very busy. My mum before my parents split ran the restaurant we owned in manchester also. My dad moved onto pubs but focus on food was great too. Personally I love to cook but cooking for people day in day out is not my thing as i’m not a people person (as you can probably tell from my people skills) M. Bocuse is a legend and have use many recipes from his book the complete bocuse and own Institut Paul Bocuse Gastronomique on my kindle and also like that one too. My mum has a few of his books too. Not sure about my dad as hes dead now too. beyond that I follow quite a few of our other chefs now, some are funny some are rude.

Food is also human made, but works can also be magic if written or spoken right like another great lose Peter Mail :stuck_out_tongue:

feel for you im suffering with a combination of Phonological, directional, visual and Rapid Naming Deficit Dyslexia so feel for your cause its why I tend to use a program called lexable its spots most but not all of my mistakes. Not cheep but the good thing is for the most part it allows my sentences to make sense (For the most part) heh.

But we are digressing from the original post which upsets some members so back to RIP M. Bocuse you were the master of all master chef’s and were creating splendours right to the point you passed. If there is a god hes got himself one fantastic chef.

1 Like

Barbara i dit not say you miswrote Paul Bocuse name on purpose but when you are not sûre of the spelling look at thé Larousse
Thank you

Think it’s about time the spelling police had a bit of a break, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter!

Hello mark i assure you i am not thé spelling police actually on this site i am nothing at all but for me pronouncing and writing words correctly are very important but i am willing To let go and say no more.

Carol and Harry what on earth are you both talking about!
Both of you have made spelling mistakes in your latest posts…but it only
matters to you!
If you do not like my posts do not read them.
There must be something far more important you can be doing.

1 Like

Carol, you have been in SFN long enough to know that Barbara has a problem with spelling.
It is nothing to do with lack of respect.