Paying by Card: Minimum amounts?

I’m curious how much French banks charge for handling retailer’s cash deposits and how that compares to card charges.

No charge in my case :grin:

You can set the level of security for payment to activate. It either needs a positive face or fingerprint ID before each payment, or you need to enter a PIN code into the app.
It is truly an excellent system.

1 Like

That still works here too captainendeavour. France largely doesn’t seem to have got around to having merchants always insist on refunding to the same method of payment - 9/10 times it seems they foist a cash refund on you when you paid by card and want it back on the card.

No idea if it’s even known but it’d be interesting to know what proportion of payments for drugs are now made by cryptocurrencies since the advent of the dark web.

Which is why the current Italian government have tweaked all the thresholds upwards, for paying in cash.

1 Like

Agree with many of the sentiments expressed.

Only thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the charges banks impose for depositing and processing cash.

We had a business in the UK and it was a close run thing as to whether the costs of taking payments by card (which varied massively between different card payment processing services, so it paid to shop around) or cash were higher. This is why there are increasing numbers of retailers who will only take payments by card. Also massively reduces the possibility of fraud within the business.

Of course, if your cash takings never make it to a bank then those charges don’t apply and card payments do cost more.

Been a long time since I was in business in the UK, but didn’t the Post Office welcome cash deposits?

Our local post office would process cash payments on behalf of our business bank (Santander) but we still incurred Santander’s charges for processing cash. So for us they were more convenient, but no cheaper. Cash is increasingly being discouraged in the world of banking!

Our solution was to move to bank to bank direct transfers as much as possible, fortunately our business at the time could make that transition.

They have, over the past 5 years, significantly increased what they charge banks for this service meaning many have either limited this service, started charging end customers directly, or removed it altogether. With the Post Office being (or having been, I’m not aware of current finances) the bit of the old Royal Mail group that was significantly loss making, now that it’s on its own they need to extract every penny they can from services like this that actually generate them revenue for minimal effort and I think a lot of the previous deals with banks were effectively loss leading as the focus was just about getting people into post offices, using the counters etc and then hoping to make add on sales and such.

:scream::money_mouth_face::scream::money_mouth_face::scream:

Just back from our end of year seminar in Lyon I noticed that to use the public transport metro bus tram you no longer need a ticket you can use your CB

I rarely have cash, to easy for it to disappear into my teens hands :rofl: