Peanut Allergy - alert

I’m so glad that you all disagree with the medical team that provided our training but in my short time on SFR I’ve become accustomed to my experiences and advice being rubbished. Such a welcoming place. I would guess that I have had much more first hand experience of Epipens than Stella.

I have mine with me at all times, along with instructions for use in several languages in case I am unconscious. I would never hand it over. I also have spares stashed in various places.
The first massive allergic reaction I had, before I knew I might need an epipen, I was lucky to be somewhere where they had a syringeful of cortisone to hand, otherwise I would probably not be writing this now.

1 Like

I wonder Dan why there seem to be so many people with allergies today, and serious ones at that. I’m allergic to dust which always gives me mild asthma and once a pal of mine had to rushed to hospital after a bee sting but otherwise when I was growing up there didn’t seem to be the risk to the same extent as there is now. Are children too cosseted now to build up resistance?

There you go Véro, late onset allergic reaction? Are we all more susceptible now than before?

I imagine there is a combination of factors, exposure to synthetic substances of all sorts is much higher, vehicle emissions, food additives, hermetically sealed houses full of soft furnishing doused in chemicals, cleaning solvents, fitted carpets (disgusting) etc etc etc. There are millions of substances we are exposed to from birth or even before which we aren’t physiologically equipped to deal with and the cumulative effect is probably a trigger. It would explain why more children are now allergic to all sorts.
In my case nobody really knows what the tipping factor is, my airways just shut down catastrophically under certain not very identifiable circumstances. I had a lot of chest infections as a child away at school which were dismissed by matron, and have done long-term damage.

Gracious Dan… what’s wrong with what I said… ???

What’s wrong with that …??

I’m glad it worked well.

However, I stand by the idea that the person who needs it also carries the necessary…

2 Likes

Dan is sensitive and SFR is an unwelcoming place full of nasty people. Now we have sorted that out perhaps we can take it as read and just discuss things :grin:

1 Like

A) I probably know more about epipens than most on here
B) I am ambivalent about SNF at best and hold no support for anyone
But the prospect of having an epipen stored in a central area and not immediately accessible is frankly terrifying

1 Like

Possibly. But seemingly less than Mary, Vero and myself.

I travel with two on my person at all times plus 2 spares in the car and kitchen. The idea of them being stored elsewhere gives me the willies.

Having said that, I guess a school situation is slightly different depending on the age of the kids?

1 Like