Pellet boiler with silo

So we went from heat pump to pellet boiler with silo and it is fantastic. The heat pump we had for 10 years but the maintenance cost increased and parts became a problem. Secondly it wasn’t as effective as originally thought.
The pellet burner is a much simpler system and it just works.
We buy the pellets in summer when cheaper and that does us for the following winter.

2 Likes

Yes, obtaining parts for old units can be an issue especially Mitsubishi, its why I prefer Daikin. Then a 10 year old unit is nowhere near the efficiency of a newer unit so you really need to report back after 10 years of pellet burner for a comparison.

It’s interesting that a heat pump system might only have an effective lifespan of 10 years, considering the cost at the start. My oil-fired Rayburn (bought used) is about 25 years old now, and 3 years ago I could still get the bits. Granted it’s comparing old tech with very new, but even so I’d expect a longer supported life for the heat pump. The heat-pump next door must be at least 10YO now - wonder if they’re struggling to get bits?

And mostly untrue, consider that several of the old refrigerant gases are no longer in use and cannot be topped up that could be an issue but is not usually that well defined by owners. Modern units are variable speed which means far less strain than old single speed units.

1 Like

I’ll make a note in the diary :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes