Personal Recipes

I’m pepared to try the eggs… :slight_smile: but always a bit worried about “raw eggs”…

I’ve been eating them in chocolate mousse, mayonnaise, on steak tartare or a bowl of rice or just straight out of the shell, for half a century+ (no ill effects yet :grin:)

Super easy mousse recipe, base quantities are 1 egg for 25g chocolate. Separate the eggs, whisk whites into firm peaks, melt the chocolate, mix chocolate and yolks, cut in whites with a metal spoon and voila. Bung in fridge for a few hours.

I like it with a quenelle of very cold mascarpone with chopped up confit ginger in it, the sort that comes in syrup, or you could use citrus zests.
You can put chilli flakes in the choc mousse, very nice. Or cinnamon, or some very very strong coffee, or a liqueur, or whatever you like really.

5 Likes

Ah… but you are exceptional… :wink: :+1:

I think I have a dog’s digestive system.

1 Like

Seriously, it’s because I hand my baking around the village, I have to be sure “it’s safe” and some of my pals are rather fragile (they’d hate to be called elderly)… so I take great care of them.

1 Like

Understandable and if it hadnt been for Eggwina Currie I wonder how many would have died? Thankfully eggs are pretty safe and I would much rather make a new jar of mayonaise weekly than wonder how “real” industrial mayonaise can last so long.

3 Likes

Wait until January and use Seville oranges?

No alcohol?

Probably a lot safer than Kinder eggs…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

@JaneJones
See recipe in reply to Stella :wink:

1 Like

This really does sound fantastic.
I’ll have to give it a whirl and make a small quantity just for me !!! (to test it, of course ):wink: :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

If you put flavourings in you add them to the egg yolks right at the start and mix them well before adding the chocolate, you want to stir the mixture as little as possible when you add the whites so they don’t collapse, hence the cutting in with a thin metal spoon :slightly_smiling_face:

Are you using Bols, Cointreau or Grand Marnier? There’s a mandarine liqueur I might try to remember the name of in UK too…

1 Like

I use whatever I fancy/find in my cupboard, I did a nice kitsch black forest mousse with a bit of cherry brandy :wink: and had some cherries on the side
Clovis Reymond, based in I think Villamblard but distributed all over, do fantastic liqueurs etc

1 Like

very similar to our recipe - used in our guest house in Scotland and now at dinner parties in France.
Goes down a treat and is super easy to make.
Never had a problem with using raw egg …

(Almost) Perfect Chocolate Mousse
Makes 4 servings
4 egg whites (approx 40 gm per egg white)
2 egg yolks
30 gm caster sugar
125 gm 60% chocolate

1.Melt chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.
2.Beat egg whites from 4 eggs until stiff add sugar and a dash of salt during beating .It helps to break down the egg whites
3.When chocolate is melted set aside to cool slightly then add 2 beaten egg yolks and mix until egg is cooked.
4. Add a 1/3rd of the egg white to the chocolate mix using a balloon whisk . This keeps air in.
5. Pour mixture into the remaining egg whites mix gently with balloon whisk.
6. Spoon into serving glasses
7. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours

2 Likes

Having beaten them to stiff peaks etc, why do you break them down?
Genuine question from a novice.

They beat easier with salt, Corona. Much faster to fluffiness.

But for those who are not allowed to add salt… the egg whites just need more beating and beating… until exhaustion sets in… and it’s then that I remember there is an electric beater at the back of the cupboard… :rofl: :roll_eyes: :wink:

the salt makes it easier to break down the egg white and whip it faster into stiff peaks. Just like a greasy bowl/utensil makes it nearly impossible to get stiff egg whites - chemistry

1 Like

but you just need a tiny amount of salt - less than a pinch for 4 whites…

P>S> you can leave out the sugar if you are trying to cut down, 60% chocolate is pretty sweet - but with 70% chocolate or above I would use a little sugar.

1 Like

Thanks, My default is 85% chocolate and I use inulin to sweeten with some xylitol if needed but inulin is healthier as it has fibre, tastes a bit like candy floss to my palate.