Petrol scam on French roads

The same thing happened to me in between 2 villages near Mimizan there were 2 men and they wanted petrol as they had supposedly run out, they offered me a heavy "Gold" ring as security they both spoke good French and English. They only got 15 euros from me and I had to show them my empty wallet to convince them He then offered my wife another "Gold" ring for her money just as well she only uses her CB.I will not be stopping again.

interesting, only experienced it down here in the south ;-)

If the ring and necklace were stolen, you could be done for receiving but that is supposition.

Catherine H Brown has the right idea, don't form a contract with a potential thief. Whereas Stephen Young decided to go into a business transaction and try to get the better of Ali. Trying to con a con man is the same greedy idea that gets people into trouble with foriegn lottery wins for which they never bought a ticket but they think they will claim any way and get scammed because they are simply greedy and not honest with themselves.

Well Stephen will you sell the ring and necklace and see if you can get back more than the €50? longing to find out if you have scammed Ali or he scammed you. Question is have you learned your lesson?

I hate to say this, but living in Mexico, where many people devote their lives and incredible ingenuity in trying to fleece others has taught me a basic rule in life- Don't trust anyone, anywhere, anytime- except with what you can afford to lose. I speak from hard experience obviously. I have heard so many horror stories from people losing the clothes on their back, the roofs on their house to literally every thing they had. I am glad it wasn't worse for you.

UK plated cars being used is Not new here in the Mayenne / Normandy area last 2 years at least sounds like the same car, GET the REG and report it Do Not stop

Ooooo Oddly, that just jogged my memory.. I saw the same car just outside Dreux (near Chartres), about 3 weeks ago, and decided not to pull over (despite not seeing many English cars around here).... He was trying to flag down anyone he could...

This guy was in the Poitou Charentes some time ago, same car, and was parked in a layby with his headlamps flashing. We pulled in, because it was an english reg and we thought he may have been in trouble. Had the same hard luck story but I`m afraid we didnt give him a penny. Had our local police station been open we would have reported him but it doesnt open every day.

not if the ring and necklace were stolen, and what about the car...!

the usual scam is the car stopped at the side of the road and asking for money to buy petrol - when you say you'll drive them to the petrol station but not give them money they get well narked, that's when I drive off laughing. Always been done in French though, the UK plates and English being used is a new one!

I hope the the gold is genuine but surley that makes you the victor which is where I can't understand the scam. The chap with his blog was subject to begging you have goods? The price was negociated and you were happy as you believe you have the best bit of the deal. That is some really bad scam I feel sorry for Ali, that was expensive for him.

Chartres and Dreux have high Muslim occupancy so not that surprising to meet up with an Ali

... until I realised it was a scam, yes. However, the gold seems genuine though I have yet to get it checked: I will report back when it has been.

we went on our way rejoicing with a ring and a necklace in the car..

So you were happy then?

I very much doubt if the ring was gold. Many scams being operated by eastern types usually involving gifts/jewellery and needing cash for petrol etc. just ignore them.

ah well at least he didn't try to take your car :)

We won't stop for anyone after we heard about a car being carjacked with the kids sleeping in the back...