Pibrac (Toulouse) - living next to high-voltage power line

Are yesterday’s high voltage cables today’s concern over the emergence of wind farms :thinking:
Serous question…

Not from my viewpoint.

no, the human is looking to answer another’s question… :wink:

With the proliferation of mobile phones which also emit electromagnetic fields and at more danergerous frequencies. Apart from seeing more angry people these days there has never been a proven link to ovehead powerlines etc etc. The number of electronic devices in our homes would also would by now have been linked to health issues.
Its just the same 1950-60 talking point going around and around 60 years later, no proof of a causial link.

Fair enough… but when someone asks the question, it’s nice to be able to offer legitimate places/links which clearly show that said worries can be laid to rest and where questions are asked and clearly answered… preferably by those living-in/governing the area.

2 Likes

So, yes, it does pass closer to the College a bit further north.

I imagine the local chatter is/was more to do with the houses that it passes directly over.

Probably one for @Badger to add to his mental list.

Regardless of the facts, I’d wonder if this sort of issue could become more fashionable to worry about in future and thus limit my chances of moving again later if I wished to. I’d think seriously about whether there are other places that might suit as if it becomes a fashionable cause, reasoning doesn’t always help.

Karren, its been fashionable since CND, the green party etc have existed with no actual evidence linking it. Does it put of some people, it might, but plenty of people wont be. Outside Chatellerault near me, but not that near is a huge sub station with houses either side and opposite, not the view I would want and radio amateures wouldnt be happy but the people still buy and live there.

well Corona I was thinking some of these concerns might not have had such enthusiasm in France yet, even if in some Anglo circles they have longer tenure. A bit like solar, really.

Yes and 5G masts flat earth etc. Born sadly from ignorance in most cases but in the light of Erin Brokovich (sp) not altogether surprising with chems poisioning lakes amd waterways to name just one occurence from big business’s

Unfortunately it is true, it is a 225kV line, it’s even mentioned on a document from the town hall. There is just one more line which is stronger, the 440kV one. And don’t be mistaken, apparently there were/are plans to take it through a French village called Angresse.

“Because the other villages didn’t accept it”, next try was Angresse and people got outraged there too. I don’t think there are proper legal restrictions if they can pull such a thing through.

And regarding the distance: the Bois de la Barthe school has several buildings, the closest to the line is the college, which you cannot avoid if you don’t want to pay for the private school. That building starts 60m from the line. Google tells you clearly and I have been to the site. So these are unbelievable but sad facts…

Many thanks for the links! I know that no research can give us 100% certainity but if there are any doubts I’d rather not play with the health and life of my kids. And I think there’s a reason why they don’t recommend any new schools to be built next to these lines. But the risk is the same for the existing schools.

Indeed, that’s the only thread I could find out about this power-line before. But in that forum there was only one person locally impacted (a potential buyer of a house). How come there is nothing else on the net about it? From locals I mean. I figure that at the time of building that line, the Internet was already widespread. But even in recent years no one seemed to worry about having their kids in that school. I talked to some people from the village, but none of them knew anything about it, their children go to some nearby private schools (not due to the line).

Further to my answers to the others: It seems that the topic does concern the house buyers, but not the parents of the nearby school (the college starts indeed at 60m distance). There are some houses under and next to the line that got stuck completely on the market for many many months now.

Which is one of the reasons that I would not want to live in close proximity to a 225kV line - it doesn’t matter what I  think of the health issues other people can get a bit worried about them, plus although pylons can  have a certain industrial beauty I wouldn’t actually want one in my back yard, neither would most folk - all of which conspires to have a negative impact on the ability to sell up and move should the need or desire arise.

But on the upside you could build a large inducting coil and have no need of electricity to the house, might even charge your EV for free, they wouldnt miss a little bit of electricty :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We have a 5g repeater outside our house in Bristol. If I lean out of the window with my phone I get about 300 mb / sec. By the time I’ve hit the sofa it’s down to about 50 and in the back garden it’s slower than 4g. A total white elephant, certainly in our place. The 5g signals quickly lose their strength, even through glass!

Here is an indication, concerning the magnetic field only. Each high voltage cable carries less than about 350 Amps. A pylone with six wires carries 2100 A.
Now, a 3 kW electric heater draws 13 Amps. You will then receive the same amount of magnetic field as the electric heater distant 1 meter from you, at the distance (2100/13)^0.5 = 13 meters from the cables.
So, you must really be under the cables to suffer an equivalent magnetic field (thenks to the square root dependence on distance). The electric field is another story…

I can’t really comment - countless years ago, I remember the news making an association between powerlines and leukemia, but I’ve never looked into it.
Here’s a house for sale to suggest it’s probably safe! :slight_smile: :open_mouth:

Even if correlated it doesn’t imply causation, way too many confounding factors.

1 Like