Planning driving back to UK with British car going through France

Hmmm. Well… I’d rather drive with valid insurance but no MoT [but confirmed booked] than valid MoT but no ins.

And I have. Twice. As I say, never tested following an incident but I was confident it would do if simply asked for papers.

Well, again Chris, it might be acceptable to the broker but it is the underwriter who would determine whether the policy conditions had been met in the event of a claim
You were lucky but is it really worth the chance?

Ahh no Christopher, I was’t advocating he does “a runner” :slightly_smiling_face: I was just commenting on Graham’s idea of routing through Gibraltar.

I agree there’s two ways to avoid all possible doubt.1] Leave the vehicle where it is. 2] Have it on the back of a flatbed to the port of departuture.

Yes, John - I did compute the reason for doing that. If it ticks all the admin boxes, a very sound suggestion.

Agree with Graham. It is illegal to drive a car with no MOT (serviced or not in another country) and no insurance

1 Like

Sort of, Christine,
According to the UK Government website:

"You cannot drive or park your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.

The only exceptions are to drive it:

• to or from somewhere to be repaired
  • to a pre-arranged MOT test"

but does that include driving thousands of miles across France to a UK MOT testing station :thinking:

The UK government website does not say. However, I was replying to Christine’s comment which made no mention of location, merely adding that it was

1 Like

My memory of this (but having been in France for 12 years may be out of date) is that there was a requirement to seek an MOT at a nearby (nearest) testing station and that driving past a few to get to one of your specific choice was not acceptable. But, as I say, I’m no longer up to date on such matters.

Lots of comments about not being a market in France, but I don’t think this is true. I know of someone in a fb group that advertised his right hand drive car on Facebook (think it was Facebook) in February and had lots of enquiries, sold within a day. He was very happy with the price. He lives in the Lot bordering Dordogne so lots of Brits in that area. Presuming it was a Brit that bought it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 Like

Hi a UK mot is not recognised in France as we had same issue in Feb so that’s not a problem but if you have a UK insurance policy it will not be valid without an mot

One swallow does not make a summer? Perhaps a real bargain, or just hit the moment when people were looking as they were moving back to UK before end March deadline. I find it hard to work out why anyone would want to buy a UK reg RHD car in France unless they were heading back to the UK. But then I do find some things in life mysterious.

3 Likes

Is that still the case? I thought I read somewhere that a UK annual MOT will count towards a 2 year test in France when registering a vehicle - but maybe I go that wrong or no longer applies post Brexit.

If only! It used to be the case that a UK MOT pass would mean you could register in France without a recent CT. According to my dealings with ANTS (February 2021) the MOT is now not acceptable.

Thanks Brian, I wondered if that were now the case.

I rang dvla in Feb as both our UK registered cars had no MOT and we would have to drive in France to get to Calais and were told that it’s not a recognised requirement in France and as long as we had proof of a genuine MOT appointment in UK we would be ok

2 Likes

very nice of them…

Hi christopher,

Thank you so much for sharing the information, it seems that if we think really hard there is always options. So can they insure you without having the MOT, how about road tax?

I am currently in the UK and got a car here, perhaps I could ask my insurance to add a second car to my policy, can they tell if its not MOT’d and not taxed?

Regards
Foudil

Hi Brian,

Did you get another bike in France, atleast the weather is much better for riding the bike in France and the roads are much nicer? I miss riding bikes, Is there any British motorcyclists you have joined in France.

What part of France do you live?

Thank you