Plastic in the oceans

I always think of the Arctic… as the last realm…the last wilderness…

This is a terrible problem! And all because the morality of mankind is falling. Everything external is a reflection of the inner world of man.

1 Like

Not only ‘plastic’, I was appalled to see the effect of bleached ‘bog paper’ (the stuff you ‘Do Not’ put down yer fosse), on the sea bed, in popular yacht anchorages in the Caribbean Islands, whole swathes of sea grass, smothered, sq kilometers, dead because of toilet roll, discharged from boats, that does not biodegrade, it’s not just plastics :roll_eyes:

Any links to the topic Bill?

Pollution perhaps :thinking:

Everything external is a reflection of the inner world of man.
[/quote]

Very apt statement, Liza. I heartily disapprove of people who must carry a bottle of water or a carton of coffee everywhere they go. This is now endemic, almost everyone does it, except older people who (like me) see it as infantile, like dummy-sucking which it possibly replicates.

I saw a cabinet minister (a woman) on her way to 10 Downing Street carrying a Costa carton. Don’t they provide drinks in No. 10? Or is this “virtue-signalling” ('I’m too importantly busy to take time to sit and drink my breakfast beverage, and here’s the proof…)? :roll_eyes:

Perhaps, but looking for some facts. Paper breaks down into pulp especially as it’s toilet paper. Our waste is reprocessed by marine animals which is why mussels, oysters etc are around outflow pipes.

Blimey, John, Is that why they are round sewage outlets, how did I miss that, growing up by the sea!!!
Believe me, I have seen the problem I describe, but instead of ruffling your expert feathers, I will keep off this thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, I think John has a point - toilet paper is generally designed with short fibers and minimal binder so it falls apart quickly when wet - try wetting some and see how much strength it retains.

On the other hand there are many paper/fiber products which people inappropriately flush such as kitchen paper and wet wipes - these products are specifically designed so (and often sold on the fact) that they do not fall apart when wet - “fat bergs” are often mostly wet wipes which do not biodegrade.

I assure you Paul, I have seen lots of this, disgusting stuff on the sea bed that does not, “fall apart quickly when wet”, but smothers plant life on the sea floor.

Not disagreeing, but suspect it is wet wipes and kitchen roll rather than toilet paper.

Unless it’s Izal of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seconded. My views should align me with Greenpeace, however having met a few, they do not exist on science, merely hear say and rumours, shame because they do some very good work at the sharp end.

Bill, I am not an expert, I dislike the term but 2 ply breaks up in under 6 seconds with mild agitation, 3 ply 8 seconds and the more commercial long rolls in public buildings can take 16 seconds.

I suspect it could be the shiny stuff, but still “identifiable as” bog paper!
I did spend a lot of time sailing/diving there Paul:wink:

You haven’t seen the stuff I’ve seen, obviously John. :wink:

I very much doubt if anyone else here has seen or done half as much

1 Like

Well thanks Mark :rofl:

The latest informative update info video from Ocean Cleanup…

I wonder if river plastic interceptors, like this one or something like it, will become part of the normal infrastructure of all rivers, especially those that carry high plastic loads - considering that most of the plastic that reaches the great ocean garbage patches come by way of rivers.

1 Like