Please be aware of a situation with a bank that we find ourselves in

Well it only takes one incident to make you feel that the system should be changed. We have obviously been unlucky with probably an employee of the security firm deciding to steal our money. But with the envelope system where is the proof that you did actually deposit the money? As for not paying in cash which was paid against a client invoice, what real choice do you have? Just because you have not so far had a problem does not mean to say that I will not happen to you, does it?

Anyone of us could be affected by this. We would like to see a different and safer system used.

aĆÆe ! I use the same system every day and deposit thousands in cash each day with crĆ©dit agricole - never had a problem!

i do have a copy of what i've deposited, they have two and send one back to me signed once they've counted the cash

We find that banks dislike handling cash and with the new laws limiting the amount of cash transactions coming into place there really is very little need to legitimately have large quantities of cash that you need to bank.

We had to prove that bank transfers from the UK were not in fact the proceeds of illegal activities. So no cash in hand and no money laundering.

We do find that C-A are extremely helpful and they may have suggested a more secure method, perhaps involving a little travel, rather than leaving your cash in a drawer. that being said night safes have been used in the UK for generations.

I made two deposits (700 and 300 euros) on the 5th and 13th of December 2017 respectively, in my branch which is in Chalais, Charente. Initially the bank said I had not deposited anything. I had a meeting with them on the 15th of December where they said they had made a mistake with my account number and the money would be in my account by the following day. The 300 euros eventually turned up, which CA Chalias said was on the 13th, two days before they admitted the problem was their mistake. The 700 euros is still missing and they now say it was not deposited. I am absolutely seething about this and intend reporting CA Chalais to the local Procureur de la Republique as suggested in one of you replies.
Dave Morgan

Hi David
Iā€™m sorry to hear of your problem with CA.
Thatā€™s why I originally posted the problem that I had when depositing cash to warn people to be careful.
Have you a receipt for the 700 euros? I hope that you manage to get satisfaction with this. You must persevere!
Not a great start to the New Year but I hope that it gets better for you.

Serious question: Has anyone made an appointment with a Bank official, arrived with Cashā€¦ and had Official witness the deposit being made into the machineā€¦???

Iā€™m wondering if this might be the route to goā€¦ for anyone with Cash to deposit.

(I would be nervous putting my money into a machine and hoping for the best.)

For cash my bank has the system where the machine gives you a receipt detailing the time you made the deposit, the a/c number, and the amount you entered ā€œsubject to checkingā€. Cheques you just put into a box and you donā€™t get a receipt. On the rare occasions that I deposit a large amount of either, I put on a dopey look and go to the counter and say ā€œWould you mind helping me with this, I donā€™t often make deposits and Iā€™ve forgotten what to do, and Iā€™d hate my money to get lostā€. Nine times out of ten they say ā€œOh donā€™t bother with the machine, Iā€™ll do it straight awayā€ and I hand it over and they put it straight into my account. So it can be done, at my branch.

2 Likes

Over five years of putting money (large amounts of cash) in the night safe each and every day and Iā€™ve never had a problem. Thatā€™s getting on for 2000 cash deposits with no problems :wink:

Thatā€™s great news @an_droo ā€¦ Iā€™m not expecting to come into money, I was just wondering :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Glyn, I wonā€™t give up believe me!

Regards

Dave