Please help a total green horn fill in the blanks?

I agree the detail is difficult as many of your categories will be very individual to your house. We have a small house (about 250 sq M) its an old stone terrace in a village. I reckon total costs are less than €2,000 pa for all expenses inc taxes, insurance, gas, electricity and phone/Broadband. We are lucky to have town gas and main drains. We commute by ferry as we always seem to be taking a lot of stuff from UK in spite of aiming to be able to "walk in with what we are wearing". I suppose we make get there in the end (5 years so far). Flying is cheaper but given the extra standing costs for the car in France (insurance etc) the ferry may not turn out to be much more. Watchout for French taxes if you spend 6 months there as if more than 183 days you will be treated as tax resident in France and will have to submit returns for income etc. We are only there from May to October usually so not much heating needed.

No need to park at Airport, there are alternative sites around Airport who will look after your car ( check battery ) and pick/take you to Airport. You can also join list`s of people who will pick/take you to Airport for cost of fuel. (leave your car at home.

we cut our own from the community forest so our cost are small , but yes I do believe if you order 1m lengths its cheaper than having it cut for you .

Just covering the airport parking as the others are so variable, I would be impressed if your car battery would last for 6 months just sat there.... as others have said, taxi could well be a cheaper option.

I forgot the wood costs, we have a lot of our own and a special, safe wood cutter - It is cheaper to buy whole pieces and chop yourself - machine costs about 200-300 on amazon but it is under warranty for two years and replacement blades are cheap. Pays for itself in savings. Oil is expensive although cheaper by far to the UK.

Aha!! I forgot the rubbish collection. Well done Liz.

if your going to have a wood burner cost of wood to add to list , this can be any where from 45 to 125 euros a stere depending where you live and and who you buy it from , I keep mine going 24 hours aday from nov to april and use on average 9 steres a year ...

Also you need to add food to the list and that ever rising bar bill (joking )

Its hard to estimate the bills of others as we all live differently but I find its swings and roundabouts , some things are more expensive than UK others are cheaper so think about what you spend for these in the UK and you wont go far wrong

How long is a piece of string...

Taxe foncière : I've paid as little as 100€ but 1500€ on another place.

Taxe d'habitation : again as little as 100€ but 900€ at another place.

Electricity: we're a family of four and look at around 1000€ a year minimum, the same again for heating oil (very modern boiler that doesn't burn much, was double before that!)

Water: 100 to 200€ a year (family so 4 showers a day + washing machine and dishwasher once a day) live and work here all year.

House insurance: 400€ a year but soooo much depends on the area etc. ours is a cheap area but corps de ferme with loads of barns and a couple of acres.

Broadband: most packages are 30 to 35€ a month

Car insurance: 500€ for me (50, max no claims in France, no accidents but 120hp car). 250€ for OH, max no claims, small runabout.

Definitely no to airport parking; friends, or cab much cheaper. €18 gas bottle replacement from supermarkets, €22+ from other suppliers. Elec can be argued with EDF,based on your usage. ours was estimated at 120/month but argued down to 70. Our water is €22/month. (EDF has an English language helpline as does Orange). Car insurance can be based on the length of time in France. Some insurers will not accept customers not permanently living in France, others require two years. Internet/tel/mobile with orange livebox and landline. can run from 70-120 dependent on usage. Rubbish collection also varies per commune - the Mairie will advise on all taxes imposed/collected by them. Hope this helps.

Oooooh Denis - so, so variable but here's some guesswork. I'm sure other members will adjust the figures according to their own experiences and then you can work out an average.

Airport Parking 12 month 686 Being a skinflint, I have to ask why? I would store the car safely at the house, take a cab (or call me) and spend that money on the tax fonciere.

Tax Fonciere / Habitat The house-y taxes vary according to the commune, square metres/footprint, additional 'luxuries' like in-ground pools, big sheds, garages and extra bathrooms.

Gas ? For a cooker? I don't buy gas bottles but someone will know the price, maybe €25 for refills?

Electric ? Basic lights / water heater etc maybe €40 a month. Aircon etc probably triple it.

Water ? I'd have to go find a bill. Maybe €30?

House insurance ? Again depends on the type of house, if it has shutters etc.

Broadband/TV ? Orange is about €20pm for internet/landline

Car tax/insurance ? Model/age/cc

Nothing obvious sprang to mind that's missing from the list but if something occurs I'll be back ...

I'll not try to answer but it is so variable you need somebody who lives near you with a comparable property, value, number of people, type of car and an idea of just what kind of utility user you are. There is NO real formula.