Please Help... Moving to France soon

Lovely cats!

Yes, they look very self-assured and well provided-for in their comfortable niche. What more could a pussy cat desire? :hugs:

Never did an accompanying trip with cats but had probably one of the biggest decisions to make in my life when I was ‘told to leave’ Malta. My two strays had followed me over from London (flown). But when the eviction (Deportation) came up they had to fly back to quarantine for six months in the UK, before joining me in Australia! They HAD to come by ship (a month) and then had a further three months quarantine in Oz until I could collect them.
I was amazed at how well they had coped, and delighted (and relieved) to see how the recognised me and jumped into my arms - after almost a year of separation!
Needless to say it cost a fortune, and many said I should have had them ‘put down’, but that was never an option, although I did worry about implicit psychological cruelty in my selfish decision.
They lived on with me for several years in Oz very happily (with my two later acquired Aussie dogs) Oedipuss was (incorrectly I know) the female, and Platypuss the male.
Gundy 'Gundagai of ‘Tuckerbox’ fame, was the often confused Mother of Hennessy who was her son and product of a foray with the biggest dog I have ever seen! He was called Hennessy as he ha d a passing resemblance to the St Bernard of the ads. He was also the daftest, dumbest lump of canine delight, who insisted on leaping into my arms when I came home from work - and usually flattening me!
My now wife (French) had never owned an animal in her life, and certainly never shared space with them - and although she grew tentatively fond of them over time she never had the passion whiich I suppose was natural.
The only other point I would make is on a longish trip from Burgundy to Correze much later with SCruffy and Jonksy my last pets, they were both in cat carriers, and they showed their distaste for the whole proceeding all the way BUT we did learn what music was most acceptable to calm them down! Unfortunately not the same music (bugger!)
Scruffy (who was anythng but ‘scruffy’ , and a handsome sleek black creature loved Opera, whilst Jonksy (ginger and white) was into Cool Jazz, but prone to singing along!
Scruffy is now gone, but Jonksy is still with me.
Funny how when I look back how important animals have been to me all my life both to give and receive affection, something I never really found with humans. Something in my character doubtless.

3 Likes

A very touching testimony, Norman, as I experience your words here and elsewhere.

I would comment that in my opinion you should not confuse affection with love.

That is a commonplace error, and it blights the lives of many loving and loveable people who can not easily recognise in, or never develop the capacity for ‘showing affection’ to, other human persons.

Some aspects of “showing affection” are culturally determined anyway, e.g. kissing, hugging, touching, and the use of terms of endearment. There are many more. They are learned behaviours, not necessarily innate, and not intrinsic to what we refer to as ‘love’. That goes for non-human creatures too, I think.

I also reckon you are a perfectly normal example of the species, and a uniquely valuable and lovable character.

Sorry for the late reply Peter (Timewalking does occupy me so much!)

Thanks for the kind words, but I really do have a problem with this thing called ‘love’. I thought I had tried it, even thought I had found it on a couple of occasions, but it has always proved elusive - not to say ephemeral for me.

I can understand the love of people for their children, and the reverse, although it never applied to me, as I can see the physical connection which must mean something to most.

Again I never explored this avenue, and deliberately '(in conjunction and agreement of the wives) avoided having children. I always felt and still feel that I would have been a terrible father, so I suppose I should be quite proud of not inflicting me on any new generation!

To an extent this also applies to friends - although a very astute and young lady once explained to me that ‘friendships are like lives - some are short and a few are very long’ which made sense to me. Anyway I genuinely derive comfort from knowing that when I shuffle off this mortal coil, no-one will be pained or hurt by my departure.

No, Peter, I am most certainly not uniquely valuable, nor am I a lovable character. I know myself too well to think that. I exist, therefore I am, but that’s the extent of it.

1 Like

It’s right that you should have the last word on this subject, Norman. Thanks for putting me in the picture re how you feel. :hugs:

Thanks

When I was grieving for a cat that got killed a wise friend said he wasn’t surprised, could I think of another living thing that had shown me unconditional affection on a daily basis?

1 Like

Can I edit my post to remove email and phone number? I was hoping to reach Gill who said she had used an excellent company, and thought I was messaging her, not making a public post.

Hi Vivien
If you click on the 3 dots here and then on the dustbin icon at the end, your post will be deleted. ( If the pencil icon is still showing you may be able to click on it to edit)

You can then click on Gill’s avatar and the blue Message box to PM her.

Done it ! Thanks. Vivien

1 Like