Pointing a stone wall

One and ALL !

We (well my wife, whilst I was in UK) has stripped back the paint a plaster from a wall which has always been damp. Behind the plaster was cement mortar in places which may have been the cause of the damp.
The wall is in our kitchen.
Below are a few photos:

We are now left with good stone on the edges of the wall - which can be cleaned further.

Between the good stone is a collection of smaller stones and various forms of mortar. The is very little actual stone so there is nothing really to repoint around the edges of.

Any suggestion about how to finish the centre part of the wall correctly?

Perhaps wire brush to clean then apply lime mortar by hand (almost like mud pies) then brush back with a stiff brush to expose what little stone is there?

What is the best type sand for doing this - the only sand I have been able to buy so far is sharp sand - any better suggestions?

mixed graded sand is what you need, depending on the colour of the finished wall there are various blends. Not sure where abouts you are are but there are various sources for lime in the UK and most have access to different sands.

Do you know what mixed graded sand would be called at the Brico? I know I can get lime there.

I used Sable de Loire, 3 X 1 chaux, nice colour :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed it is, Sable for masons 04 is widely available, I sometimes add some finer sand if it is mainly course to give a good blend. Spread it out on some white paper and take a look at the particle size, well mixed or too much of one kind.

I have managed to strip the wall further.

1 Like

I washed out the joints/cleaned the stone, with my pressure washer, being careful not to wash too much material out, made a good job Mat :slightly_smiling_face:

Now comparing sand types, just waiting for them to dry.

1 Like

Hi Vincent
I am very new to all of this. Bought our french farmhouse in March. Have a small barn attached with open stone wall. Having read your info am I right that I need to buy some hydrated lime and add water and through onto the wall to fill the gaps? Can you buy the lime straight from St Astier or have to go through a supplier. Can you tell me the best lime to get (perhaps the name and number).
Its an internal wall and want it to look natural.

Chaux Hydraulic and Sable de Loire has been good for me on a lot of pointing, inside and out Tracey, 3:1,nice colour too, not too white, don’t know how much you’re doing, but a bag of chaux, from a Brico, goes quite a long way :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mix the lime (st Astier from builders merchant) and river sand, put in gaps with trowel. Leave until set/surface is hardish (6 to 24 hrs), brush with wire brush to get desired finish, sweep down with a stiff broom.

Don’t do it when too hot or risk of frost

Job done

Didn’t take 6 - 24 hrs here Mark, an hour or so to stiffen up, brushed down with a floor type sweepin’ brush (minus long handle), would be have been well set in 24hrs :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I did this in July it was ready to brush to expose the stone in about 4 hours, but it is quite forgiving so test it every hour or so to see if it is ready.

1 Like

Depends on a lot of things, weather, mix, how close to the ground, size of joints etc.

And, of course, the finish you want

Quite important to keep checkin’ isn’t too far gone Mat :+1:

My mix is invariably, 3:1, to maintain a consistant colour :slightly_smiling_face:

Btw Tracey, improves the result a lot, if it’s possible, to wash/powerwash the stone prior to pointing, don’t wash out the ‘muck’ in the joints too much though
And ‘damp’ the stone/joints, immediatly before starting pointing and whilst working :slightly_smiling_face: