Pollution disc for driving in French cities - Update July 2018

To revive an old topic.

Being good and responsible visitors - as well as noticing that Rennes now has set up a pollution control zone and this, strictly, we need a sticker to venture off the Rocade and call at the Cleunay Leclerc we ordered a sticker and duly affixed it to the car in the proscribed manner.

We seem to be the only ones!!

Glancing at the other cars on the ferry perhaps 1% of them, if that, have one. It is barely any better in the Leclerc car park. In fact it is so rare we comment when we spot one.

I wonder if apathy over the scheme will win out?

As they are only necessary in such a small part of the country there is no need for the vast majority to have one. I don’t yet when I lived in Germany I displayed the equivalent vignette on all my cars because there they were relevant to me. Not apathy just common sense.

Paul… you’ve got the sticker and it will stand you in good stead throughout…

We got ours when they first were mooted… as there was a possibility of a visit to Paris…

Anyway, once you’ve got 'em, they’re for life… and with several other places taking the anti-pollution stance… we can relax… :relaxed:

Fair enough but the Rennes ZPA comes into effect in October - though it seems to be a bit vague as to what the penalty would be for driving without a sticker on a day when no restriction is in effect or how likely it is that restrictions are actually going to be announced (not very as it needs 4 consecutive days of poor air quality).

Indeed, it’s not as if they are exactly expensive or require more than minimal effort on our part, so why not?

Like you I thought I might need one for a trip to Paris but we didn’t take the car in the end, however I finally decided to bite the bullet when Rennes announced that they were part or the scheme.

As I said if I need one I will get one, until then…

Fair enough

Apathy was inappropriate.

You seem to have taken this personally David which was not my intent - just to question whether, if people do not take up the disc and no sanction results will it all just turn out to be a damp squib. A general observation, not to slate your decision not to bother or to suggest that you, individually, are apathetic.

Seems that the forces of Law and Order are being gentle with folk… but, if the pollution is high… they can (and probably will) act firmly…

I love the phrase " Les forces de l’ordre semblent avoir d’autres chats à fouetter."… seems they have other cats to whip… :thinking::zipper_mouth_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ah, yes, I knew this French expression (= other fish to fry) but have never seen or heard it used in anger - until now :slight_smile:

Seems fairly hard on the cats though.