Pound Sterling thinking of self-identifying as Euro

True, and apart from Cruella Baverman he seems to have made a good start. All will be revealed on the 17th.

My gut feeling is we ainā€™t seen nothing yet :frowning:

1 Like

Its a start.
BBC: Rishi Sunak reimposes fracking ban in England.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s this weekā€¦

I read an interesting Tweet that suggests the reason for delaying the fiscal event is actually to do with the fact that the OBR uses figures from the days immediately prior to the event as part of its report. If the government stuck to the original date then the reporting period wouldā€™ve included the calamitous market figures from Trussā€™s and Kwartengā€™s mini budget. By delaying it, they instead rely on figures from the relatively calmer period weā€™re going through at the moment.

I donā€™t know enough about how the OBR works to know if thatā€™s legit, but itā€™s from Ben Chu, the economics editor at Newsnight, so Iā€™m inclined to believe he knows his onions.

https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/1585245192940322817

1 Like

my guess is that it is likely the case in order to forecast forward on different data which will be more helpful in calming the markets.
We shall seeā€¦

Maybe, but moving the budget date (for that is what it is) past the BoE decision on interest rates will (in my uninformed opinion) mean that they will go with a cautious approach, that is a higher increase than they might have done had the budget been declared.

I donā€™t think they, nor the markets, will see a new regimeā€™s smoke and mirrors as a sign of stepping up to the mark.

Well somethingā€™s shifted the market as Iā€™ve seen some substantial increases with some higher risk investments over the last couple of days :+1: rather hoping it continues :crossed_fingers:

My point totally, the markets will steady (for now) but the BoE will raise rates more than they would have, take that mortgage holders.

BTW when you say ā€œincreasesā€ is that relative to a few days ago or September 23rd? Are you sure your not just seeing a reduction in your losses :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Good article today on the impact of having banker as PMā€¦ā€¦

Yes - this is an essential insight:

Investment bankers have very little to do with the real economy that ordinary people inhabit. They donā€™t run businesses. They donā€™t deal with actual product and customer markets. Their work is confined to financial markets, aiding corporate financial manoeuvres, and trading and managing their own financial assets. Their primary aim is to make profits from such activities, regardless of how it affects the real economyā€¦ In other words, what benefits big finance often hinders business and manufacturing generally.

Magic money with zero value to Society.

bit like politicians then :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not looking good for GBP aheadā€¦

1 Like

After all the Truss chaos, good to see some relative stability coming back and the pound climbing - itā€™ll be interesting to see where it goes, especially against the dollar???

1 Like

Dollars suffering a bit, I read yesterday. Managed to get a shade over 1.16 yesterday. Noticed there was a slight difference between the Wise App and the Wise website, obviously went with the highest at the time.

I think itā€™s just a reflection of hints that the US is not going to raise interest rates as anticipated. I donā€™t expect it to amount to much. The UK economy ā€˜fundamentalsā€™, as they say, still look grim.

@Geof_Cox whatever the reason, it has strengthened, which will benefit many folks, so something to be cheery about isnā€™t it???

ā€˜Always look on the bright side of lifeā€™, as they say :grin:

Iā€™ve been resigned to the fact that year on year, the Ā£ always seems to decline against the ā‚¬. Over the last year, it has indeed declined by 5.35% against the ā‚¬.

However I was very surprised to see from my usual foreign exchange site (Xe/HighFX) that over the last 5 years, the Ā£ has ā€˜onlyā€™ declined 0.26% against the ā‚¬, and over the last 10 years, itā€™s declined by mere 1.16%. Its value was ā‚¬1.15 in early February 2013.

I guess the decline would be more severe if you went back further, eg 15 years ago. I presume in part the relative lack of the Ā£ā€™s decline over 5-10 years might be as much due to the international weakness of the ā‚¬, as opposed to any strength of Ā£. The ā‚¬ has declined by 13.4% vs US$ over 5 years, and 20.64% over 10 yearsā€¦

2 Likes