Prices and Numbeo? (she asked from a crouching position)

Yep… buy at the lower price… certainly not at the original price… (but don’t tell Numbeo) :upside_down_face:

I thought that washing jeans was out of fashion

I tend to wear Levi 501’s though and £65-85 a pair is about average, but that’s not that expensive, as jeans go

Paul…

Jeans are sold all over… many are at much lower prices… what is the allure of Levi 501’s ??? :slightly_smiling_face:

Nothing particular, I just like them - although I have found over the years that anything cheaper falls apart quickly.

1 Like

We sometimes buy from the agricultural outlets… their products are usually reasonably priced and tough…

but, it’s down to individual choice and the purse…

1 Like

If you are able to afford to pay a bit more then to me it is wrong to buy cheap clothing that has most likely been produced in sweat shop conditions, or worse. Some reasonably priced brands do make claims that their clothing is produced fairly. However given that clothing has such a huge environmental cost the best thing is to try to buy as few new clothes as you can.

1 Like

Yep - nice thought.

I also buy online because, as well as the low prices, I can get the sizes I want - specifically for trousers (waist / leg). The choice of different leg lengths is as rare as rock$ng horse sh$t in France and ‘turn-up’ jobs just won’t do.

The book was extremely interesting, I thought, when I first read it in about 1988, very thought-provoking. It has become a fairly standard set text in the way that 1984, Animal Farm and Brave New World have. There is an interesting difference though in that it is actually a very sharply observed view of the effect of patriarchal theocracy (observed in real time during the Iranian revolution less than a decade before Atwood wrote her book) especially as a literal interpretation of Old Testament dogma by Bible-belt born again evangelicals could lead to the same results, in a post-shock world (cf Naomi Klein).

The series was good, I thought, until it started to deviate from the book, the ritualisation of violence is disturbing but the corresponding fetishising of fertility equally so.

3 Likes

I find Atwood’s books are usually thought provoking, and this was no exception given how much of the world is still pretty patriarchal. The TV series was more like entertainment, but the direction and scenography was brilliant. However not interested in second series.

1 Like

Gramm Vert is my go to garden centre for jeans and shirts. My girls wouldn’t be seen dead in any jeans that cost less than a hundred quid and have designer labels. They laugh at me when l tell them mine cost 10 euros in the sale. However, My 9 year old grand daughter loves Primark much to the horror of her Mum, and was very very happy to discover their new superstore in Bordeaux during the Easter holiday visit. Now that is a shop l will go to again when it quietens down a bit.

2 Likes

Hello! Just wanted to assure Stella that I wasn’t offended by her kind gesture of fixing my “typo”. Although it wasn’t one (this time), not many things can make this Word Nerd feel like an idiot than seeing her typo repeated over and over in a long email thread. Ouch!

We call it Gamme Cher, but Jim has bought clothes there, also in the sale.
His latest work trousers were bought on line.
We used to buy our hens and pondeuse mixture there, but now use the wonderful quincaillerie in Cluny, directly opposite the hairdresser, saving diesel.

1 Like