Printer recomendations please

We use a b/w laser printer and take nearly everything else, mainly A3 hi-res colour photos (source material for OH’s paintings) to a local printer, who’s so cheap it’s unbelievable.

However, for my own work, I’d love to find a European (non UK) printer who does Quad Black archival quality pigment printing - unfortunately the guy I used to use is in Cape Town.

I don’t know if these guys can do eaxactly what you need, but I I’ve had some of my mono work printed by them and the quality was excellent. Based in Germany. The .co.uk website address gives you the English language version.

If you mainly print documents, an inexpensive laser printer is going to be more reliable (no clogged heads) and cheaper to run.

I have a 10-year-old Brother laser which is still running fine, and I’ve changed the toner cartridge probably three times since I bought it.

For colour, especially if you want to print photos, I think you have to spend a bit more - my colour inkjet is a Canon PIXMA iP8750, which costs around £230 new and has six inks (cyan magenta and black plus grey and “photo black”) and it does a great job of printing photographs.

It works best with genuine Canon photo paper, but for the ink cartridges I buy generic ones and they have been fine - obviously this is a bit more of a gamble as quality varies among suppliers…

The iP8750 uses dye-based inks which are not so archival as the pigment inks used by posh Epson inkjet printers, but have less of a tendency to clog up if not used frequently than the pigment ones do.

(I am a professional photographer BTW)

1 Like

Thanks, unfortunately they don’t offer the process I want.

The first thing I bought after signing for my flat in Valencia was to buy a M.F.P. I bought a small Brother b & w laser printer for 99.7% of printing.

I did exactly the same when I snuck under the decending portcullis into France in Nov 2020. Both have proved crucial to keeping up with the ‘docamenti’.

I can change my address on line with Lloyds Bank. With Credit Mute I must submit a document - which I can copy and send by email. How convenient! :roll_eyes:

The Spanish HP M.F.P. was a devil to keep wirelessly connected to the laptop and so is the HP I have here now. In fact, since I had ADSL installed yesterday I can’t get the thing linked to this l/top for the life of me.

The little Brother laser has been rock steady from day one and uses 1/1,000,000th of the ink of the HP.

After wanting to launch my existing epson inkjet printer out of the window, and reviewing comments here + reviews on the web, I just took the step of ordering one of those ecotank epson printers. Not cheap, but think expectations are deservedly high right now :grin:The current printer, which I have used quite rarely was relatively cheap, but when I need it to print, I need to it print, and it did that for many years. It is old I know, it has been reliable, but the last few times I’ve needed to use it, well, it’s driven me up the wall, and I’m normally very patient! I have quite a few non-epson cartridges which have always been great. The print quality isn’t anything special, and I mainly use it for the odd letter or route map for hiking. But if I saw that ‘cartridge not recognisable’ window pop up again whilst trying to print, I would be ready to leap off the roof :grinning: So, fed up with having to buy new cartridges everytime I want to print, and spending alot of time trying to beg and coax the little printer work, I bit the bullet and ordered the ecotank ET 2821 printer, which I must say, looks ideal for my needs, and I wont be continuously buying cartridges which seem to constantly fail for some reason + wasting time. I really hate the idea of adding to landfill or just changing up stuff for the latest model, and for this reason, wherever I can I like to repair and fix and keep alive what I have. But the printer, well I hate to say it, but it got the better of me :sleepy: RIP old epson, and welcome new reliable, economical and robust epson…or at least I hope :crossed_fingers:

I’m unashamedly a fan of HP laser printers.
We had in our IT business a huge network model HP laser which we brought to France with us when we closed the business down and AFIK its still in use to this day over 10 years later (now with a new owner).
We now have an HP MFP M281fdw laser (purchased in France) which is performing exceptionally well as a network resource by WiFi on our home Network from our Bouygues 4G router to 3 Linux Ubuntu PC’s and also our two mobiles.
Good solid reliability and easily recognised by the PCs and mobiles alike.

2 Likes

We now have a Brother laser printer - it is very small, quick and very cheap to use. Wireless, Apple Air print and prints on both sides.

It is something like this:
https://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/imprimantes-multifonction-fax/imprimante-laser-brother-hl-l2350dw-monochrom/f-1071156-bro4977766782524.html

1 Like

I have always had Epson printers (3 over 20+yrs)
I think I have used compatible inks for most of that time. Whenever I change inks a pop up informs me I’m not using genuine Epson inks, I just hit the ignore button and away I go :clap:
@almondbiscuit I bought my last inks in France last year and not too cher.

1 Like

I think maybe my epson may be a bit older as I didn’t even have opportunity to tick any box about non-genuine cartridges unfortunately - it just kept telling me it didn’t recognise the cartridge, followed by the nice red flashing light that tells you it’s having a tantrum :woozy_face: But I am still buying another Epson as until relatively recently it has been fine, and alot better than the previous canon many many years ago :+1:

1 Like

In the industry, the phrase was “if anyone can, Canon can’t” :boom: :boom: :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like