Prior works declaration refusal

Exactly my view, as I have often commented. When in Rome :slightly_smiling_face:

There have been cases, where the Owner has had to demolish the entire buildingā€¦
others have had to ā€œcorrectā€ illegal/non-conforming worksā€¦

Owners can make their choiceā€¦ to gamble or not to gambleā€¦ :wink:

Which is probably due to a serious lack of application for planning, not just swapping a front door. That said if for instance you were in Richelieu, replacing a front door would no doubt involve a serious amount of detail. One of our locals bought a wonderful derelict building opposite the chateau. Turns out repairs to the exterior had to carried out only by certain listed masons and that cost him a fortune!

I know two are definitely owned by the commune one is a commercial building and the other a domestic end terraced property with a collapsed roof and destroyed interior which has exposed the next door properties gable probably causing untold damp issues for the new owner, the previous owner of this house told me he had done a deal with the outgoing marie to buy the ruin and demolish to make a garden/driveway but now the new marie has not taken this forward which is a shame as it is unsafe and very unsightly.
In these types of cases surely the sale or demolishion would not cost the commune.

presumably, the new Owner was well aware of the financial undertaking ahead before Buyingā€¦ so canā€™t complain.
as a Local, the Buyer/Owner would understand the need to discuss with the Mairie and Batiments de France etc etcā€¦ before committing to anything.

Yes he did but even then cost soared so it cost him a lot.

a good example of why we warn Newcomers/Hopefulsā€¦ that they need to have double/triple whatever their anticipated budgetā€¦ and then someā€¦ :wink: and thatā€™s just for ordinary lifeā€¦

Buying anything ā€œspecialā€ā€¦ can lead one down a very, very expensive pathā€¦ certainly not for the fainthearted or financially constrained.

3 Likes

Demolition does cost, and there may not be a buyer if it is in that poor a state. Many people who like renovating donā€™t like semi-detached places. Get involved in your commune and ask the question? Or turn up at the next annual Voeux and raise a question.

Itā€™s a pretty simple choice though Stella. A full house build would be stupid, an arbri you could build and, if necessary, demolish inexpensively would be a fair bet. Even if you only get away with it until you sell the house it could be worth it.

My neighbour built a large wood store too close to my boundary. I didnā€™t mind but when he sold the house it was a planning issue. Solution, he disassembled it, sold the house and the new owner put it back. Simples. Everyone is happy.

The Anglo-saxon, some might say anal, desire to comply with the rules can be at odds with local customs. Go with the flow is my motto.

Incidentallyā€¦ if anyone wishes to purchase council property/chemins/whateverā€¦ it can be achieved but there is an official route to follow.

Any such ideas/suggestions have to be put forward in writingā€¦ discussed at a council meeting, agreed by the majorityā€¦ and then the Notaire will be instructed to proceed with the legalities/purchase/land-registry transfer etc etcā€¦

so, if you want to ā€œdo a dealā€ make sure itā€™s done properly :wink: :wink: