Property agents not responding

Notaires still sell houses.

1 Like

I have advised we are there in two weeks , no house sale required just a limted budget but funds in place.

Think as others said will just need to wait until over. I have been checking the notaires immobilier.

To be honest i am mostly looking on the french notaires immobilier but again you get a reply saying someone will be in touch and rarely are they.

Think will just need to wait until over.

Most of our viewings started through Green Acres and local notaries.

Where in L&G?

We had two good agents in the region. Found our house. Happen to both speak English.

We keep in regular touch with one purely for social reasons, who is saying they are low on properties to sell.

Being low on properties seems to becoming quite an issue for some reason

But then you are not in the position of an immo in bits of France that has a lot of time wasting enquiries. If itā€™s a sellerā€™s market right now then they can pick and chose. And chose not to bother with people they are not sure are serious.

One could say it was only polite to set out oneā€™s credentials in advance. A French people would be asked the same.

Hi , well we havent visited the area before but need to be close to at least a
supermarket , pharmacie , Doctors if possible.
We have been looking Fumel , Villeneuve Sur Lot , Montayral. Or nearer in Marmande , Lalinde , Port Sainte Marie

Thanks. Thats quite a bit south of us, so the agents I had in mind wont be of help.

When we were looking we did a lot of internet searches and then sought details of selected properties. We set out our budget, type of property, specific needs and so on from the very start. Got lots of responses. However the very first actual visit to the locality showed us that looking from afar doesnt work. The surrounding area is so important (to us).

So we spent several weeks living in our preferred area. (You can get good deals on long lets of gites out of season.) Made sure we regularly visited the agents we like. You cannot rely on them contacting you.

We found that when we visited an immo, they were very helpful. Some would take us on immediate visits. And if we didnt like that property they took us to another.

We had one last chance visit to our agent before setting off for UK and were told ā€˜This one has just come inā€™. Bought it next day.

There is a big difference in the regions across L&G. We are within 20 mins of Bergerac airport with flights to Stansted. Getting to Villeneuve from that airport is a much bigger trek.

My strong advice based on our quite recent experience is to find a place to stay in your broad area and go to visit localities and immoā€™s. To be honest I canā€™t imagine how you can select anywhere if you havenā€™t visited the area before.

2 Likes

Suffering similarly in the UK. Iā€™ve lost count of the number of ā€œprofessionalsā€ who seem incapable of saying either ā€œsorry Iā€™m not interested in your jobā€ or who, having expressed an interest, leave, and never get in touch again.
We bought in 2000 in France. We told all the agents we didnā€™t want a ruin, but we we were shown an awful lot.
I have to praise the agent who persuaded us to see the house we ended up buying, despite our initial declaration that it was too expensive.

When we were looking we did a lot of internet searches and then sought details of selected properties. We set out our budget, type of property, specific needs and so on from the very start. Got lots of responses. However the very first actual visit to the locality showed us that looking from afar doesnt work. The surrounding area is so important (to us).

Yes done that and i agree we will see what we think when there. When we moved to Spain yes we actually rented for two years and had the house built. Not an option this time with 4 dogs.

Its highly unlikely we will be visiting UK. Last time was 7 years ago for parents funeral. So being close to airport nit a priority.

Iā€™ve found Google maps very helpful, letting me walk through the streets of the location. It gives little idea of height, but you can see the garage with wrecked cars just across the road that the agent didnā€™t include.

4 Likes

We did the same, kept the same notaire as we were his first ever british clients and stayed with him until he retired a few years back and then went with his sucessors. Also 30 plus years ago you could deal with agents in the UK too,now I doubt many over there will have a foot on the ground here. I sold via the Notaire and the buyers only used notaires locally too.

I think an issue is that people list with multiple agencies. Without exclusivity an agent is unlikely to invest too much effort in a specific property.

2 Likes

When we were looking there were some properties that had been on their books a long time, and you could hear the sigh as they unlocked the place again, having driven an hour to get there & knowing it wasnā€™t going to sell this time either. There was a house I loved in Chaudes Aigues with old paintings on the ceilings and around door frames, but it was 365M2 and my wife was VERY firm about it.

Easily. :slight_smile: We did - 16 years ago - and love it here.

Hello Tranmere,

My lovely property is for sale at Leggettā€™s, it is near the village of Le Teilleul, Normandy. 50640.
We have had it for 11 years and sadly we have got to let it go due to illness.
Lovely open views and great neighbours, quiet location. Great village all you need.

Regards,
Mike

We came over from England to view a house only to find that it had been sold!
It is the multi agency approach that can cause problems.
An agency that sells a house will sometimes not bother to tell other agencies that the property has been sold.
Also, so much time is wasted because they will not give you an address because they think you will then go for a private sale.
Good luck.

1 Like

Leggett are also bad about marking properties sold, and it took us a while to realise that the reason agents werenā€™t getting back about certain places was because they were gone without updating the site. A couple of houses we saw in Oct 2021 that were already sold are still on the site, though finally marked as sold.