Property Law

Hi Bruce.

I would still have a word with the Maire to let him know what has been happening and ask about the advisability of letting the neighbour continue to park his car on your land. Also, don’t forget to get your key back.

cheers

Or change the lock

Yep that would be best idea. :hugs:

Well the good news is this Sunday morning that my neighbour removed all that he had stored in my workshop yesterday (incl old furniture!!!) after receiving angry words from me. I knew he would. I’ve given him a few days to remove the logs and finally to return the keys, which he said he would do. He will, and he won’t attempt to do anything like this again. Twice I’ve kicked him out, so hopefully the message has been rammed home now.

I shall get legal opinion next week about the parking space. Shan’t bother the Maire with this. The neighbour’s wife is the only concern I have now. He can’t drive, hence the motor scooter, but she needs the use of a car. She’s the vulnerable one.

You do as you think fit…

However, the Maire is the “main man” in a Commune and should be up-to-date with what is happening in his patch. At the very least, if there is such a problem with parking - he is the one who needs to know. He may well suggest/arrange an alternative spot for her and should certainly bear the shortage in mind when he and his council are making future plans for the area.

1 Like

The ridiculous thing is that my neighbour bought her house with no space to park a car, stupid thing to do! This was before she had a car and before she acquired a husband.

I have road frontage in front of my workshop on which I allow the odd visitor to park while visiting and this works fine, never had any problems until the new husband fixed his beady eye on me and decided I was a soft touch. He knows different now.

Are cars allowed to park on the road itself??

The road is narrow and it is possible but might be a hazard because at both ends of the road are blind bends and French drivers think they can see round corners! Three of my cats were killed on this short stretch of road by mad French drivers.

She has a garden which runs alongside the road and it could be opened up to park a car but I don’t think she could afford it - neither of them appear to work. Both are well educated however.

Yep, another good reason to chat with your Maire.

Presumably the road is not perceived as dangerous as there are no yellow lines, but even so, he might well see “opening the garden to parking” as a way forward. Permission needs to be sought to create a road access - simple affair.

You and her husband could surely have a go between you and, unless you live in limbo, there will be other neighbours…

If the wife is as nice as you say, she may well be relieved at such a suitable answer to her parking situation.

He could have done this himself at the beginning, but he decided to grow a huge hedge along the roadside to give them privacy. She’s a gardener, knows a lot about flowers, trees, bushes etc, and they have a pond for wildlife, resident hedgehogs etc. I suspect that’s a non starter and at 77 I wouldn’t be taking part. I have enough to do looking after my own property and land.

I think the best answer would be to let things be as they used to be. It’s been that way for several years and all was well, until he decided to look in my direction!

All I need to do is to make sure that he can’t gain a permanent right over a parking space on my bit of roadside frontage.

1 Like

Well, it is up to you.

All we/I can do is give advice.

You will see elsewhere on this forum - where I have reported how one landowner in my Commune lost part of his land, due to him mistakenly thinking he could “avoid” the legal implications of allowing folk on his land.

'nuff said.

Thanks for the advice and info. I shall explore that when I see a Notaire. I’m dogged and don’t let things go too astray.

I sued the previous owner of this house in years gone by when he extended his garden fence halfway across the chemin to make his garden bigger, so he could sell. This blocked access to my house and particularly to my garage.

It took a year to reach a judge who awarded me damages. The owner was fined 50 francs a day while the fence remained where it was.

All boundaries are now legally set in stone! Don’t worry Stella, I can deal with these things.

1 Like

Just to add - the current Maire back then was complicit in the realignment of this fence across the chemin while I was away from home for 3 weeks - I was not consulted. It was a fait accomplis when I got back.

After I won the legal battle I wrote to the Maire saying I wouldn’t hesitate to take him to court if he ever tried anything like that again. He was overruled by the judge.

It can be a hard life living in France can’t it?!!!

I trust you did not vote for that Maire at election time ! :roll_eyes::rofl::rofl:

I don’t vote for anyone, given up on politics. Just grouch about it to friends.

Look what happened in the States! The world is going mad.

Oh Bruce - pity you did not vote, especially since you reckon your maire has been less than correct.

However, it takes all sorts to make this mad world.

Over and out.

Isn’t the Maire elected by the councillors not the electorate (appreciating that he/she has to be elected as a councillor in the first place)?

Further, if the lady is vulnerable, the Mairie usually has a person responsible for social issues who can be consulted about matters such as transport etc.

Quite so Graham. However, if I know/feel someone is not “correct” I would not vote for that person on the electoral papers.

and, if that person failed to receive sufficient votes to be elected to the council, then it follows that the person could not become Maire.

so often it is due to folk abstaining/ruining votes that the “wrong 'uns” get elected - sad but true.

I have suggested several times that Bruce talks with the Maire :wink::hugs:

but if he still has “issues” with the Maire might it be better to go straight to the Assistante Sociale either at the Mairie (they usually attend once a week or so) or the hospital she attends?