Provision of doctors

Communes can, if they so wish and if they have the money, , invest in building health centres, or offering a free consultation room, subsided accommodation, and paying a (good) salary rather than the doc being self-employed. Ours also offered a huge golden handshake to attract doctors and managed to get a doctor reasonably close to retirement who wanted a less pressured environment. Which was a relief as the existing GP did not want to work alone and was going to leave if no one else could be recruited.

Not sure why you specify “younger family men” being reluctant to live in deep rural France. I would have thought it applies to both sexes?

But also the statistics show that there is a great lack of GPs in cities too, so there are urban and rural medical desserts. There have not been enough doctors coming through the pipeline who want to be GPs. Hopefully this will improve now training has been resteuctured.

Ah Jane, don’t you worry your pretty little head about that :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Maybe I should go and retrain - plenty of other nurse / midwives do! I’ve still got over 20 years work ahead of me!

2 Likes

That’s exactly what our local town of ca 10,000 inhabitants has done. Now got two thriving health centres on the go. It’s one of the benefits of not being too rural. Nothing fancy about our town ten minutes drive away, but as I’ve said elsewhere, we are right in the country but have a town that works 365 days of the year with everything we need. Go too remote in France at your peril!

I have the same problem. My MT has retired and I can’t find another one. He did tell he doubted I would be able to find another MT.

Without a registered MT how do you get treatment, it really is a big worry. How do you get regular meds? I heard you maybe able to get a one off appointment, but without being registered it costs more for appointments, meds and treatment
Anyone heard that?

You can go to any doctor, and many will give you a one-off appointment. However you will only be reimbursed 30% , unless you have flagged up with your caisse that you can’r find an MT.

Ameli also sets out other steps to follow, her:

Or you can use Qare and have teleconsultations whenever you like

https://www.qare.fr/

1 Like

I visit my doctor every three months for a repeat prescription, and I rarely see him for anything much else, but I went this morning for a repeat prescription and he is not there. The place is locked up, all shutters closed and his sign board on the door has been removed. Normally he would put a notice on the door if he was on holiday or on strike etc. I tried ringing but no reply. Is there a way of finding out if he has resigned, has moved on, or whatever? If he has, I shall have to chase around looking for a new doctor.

But what can I do about my repeat prescription which I need tomorrow? Once in the distant past I had a problem renewing my prescription so went to the nearest doctor I could find and he gave me a repeat prescription. No problem.

But could I do that now, so that I can have a new prescription, which lasts for 3 months normally, and so have time to find a new doctor?

Dear oh dear!

Phone or ask at the Maire if anything has happened.
Ask at your pharmacy if the can give you enough of your prescription to tide you over, just explain the situation.

Get an online doctor appointment - same price

https://www.qare.fr/

And check on the annuaire at Ameli.fr whether the doctor is still listed.

I tried phoning my doctor and no reply, no recorded message. I shall go ask my pharmacy this afternoon, who know him, to see if they have heard anything. And I shall ask for a repeat prescription which I’ve had with them for years. But I suspect they won’t, but will know later today, thanks.

I checked and his name is not there!

Retired then? Was he of a suitable age to do so?

The pharmacienne told me 2 months ago that in that sort of case or eg if can’t get an appointment, they can issue 1 month’s worth.

Obvs same pharmacy as you normally use would make things easier.

Will be interested to know what’s happened to your doctor
 Was it something you said? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw him in July and he seemed to be in good spirits, but I’ve also observed that he’s been looking stressed. The last time there was a doctors’ strike he took part!

If retired surely a managed hand-over of patients should have been organised.

One presumes that, as this was not done, something “sudden” happened.

No. He looks to be in his 40s. But I suspect he’s been under a lot of stress.

I do hope you will. OH certainly is given his prescription by our pharmacy when he forgets to go to the doctor in time. Especially if it is something out of the ordinary.

When he replaced my former retiring doctor, my retiring doctor told me he was retiring, and gave me my records to give to the new doctor when next I visited. I have received no notification from him about leaving.

What struck me was the absence of his nameplate on the door.

It’s not really the way to do things, is it?

They haven’t moved to a new building somewhere.