Recommend paint for shutters please (and chemical dip stripping)

@SuePJ

This is what the book says…

1 Like

Farrow & Ball every time. Used their primer and exterior paint and even the south facing shutter have held up for 5 years.

Can I add, the performance of the paint also depends a lot on the quality of the item. Our hardwood shutters painted 16y ago with quality oil based paint are only now requiring a re-top coat. Softwood ones have had 2 recoates in the same time period

I was a F&B advocate in UK but really disappointed with its performance under the weather extremes we get here. Lasted a year…

1 Like

That must have been frustrating - did you contact them and complain? Their customer service dept are really helpful and knowledgeable.

Yes, hugely. As did the painter we were using as he was the one that ordered it from the F&B shop in Lyon. They were massively unhelpful and basically said it must have been his fault. No more F&B for me!

I’ve always done my wooden shutters the same way. Brush down with wire brush by hand or with a drill attachment. Ironwork taken off and rubbed down.
Undercoat applied as first coat then one or two coats of glycero hard wearing topcoat. Metal bits painted with metal paint.
Easy peasy though not quick if it’s done properly.