Registering a UK car post Brexit

As someone who deals with ANTS on a daily basis I cannot understand why your UK licence is not accepted.
As a matter of interest, when you say you sent “all the required docs”, is this because the seller did not give you a code de cession? It is a ten character code which you just enter into the box provided when you click on “Acheter ou recevoir un vehicule” on your Demarrer une nouvelle demande" page.
If you don’t have this code you should still be able to register your purchase easily without uploading any documents at all.
A driving licence & insurance certificate are only asked for in about one in ten cases, certainly not every time.
You are not required to pay anything until the application has been completed by ANTS but agencies, some of which give the appearance of being the government site, usually demand full payment of the registration tax before commencing.
How do you sign in to ANTS? Do you have a user name & password or do you use FranceConnect & enter your tax or social security number?
The only reason ANTS would refuse your UK licence would be because it is a new one issued after Brexit.

With regard to your imported car, have you declared it to Douanes & have your 846a certificate? If it is over 4 years old you will also need a CT which needs to be less than 6 months old. You will also need a bill of sale (which must have the VIN of the car on it) & correctly complete the cerfa13750 demande form. Make sure the uploads meet ANTS’ file type & size requirements & don’t use Google Chrome as some versions are not compatible with ANTS. And don’t submit your driving licence, insurance or certificate of conformity unless ANTS message you later & ask for them.
Below is an example of the sort of message ANTS would send you (in this case it is a Spanish import & the importers did the wrong thing & left the registration document behind). ANTS ask for a driving licence but do not specify that it needs to be French (they never do).

Apologise, I was misled by the title of this thread… and totally lost the plot… :roll_eyes: :rofl:

No problem, very easily done - I was maybe a tad long winded, which probably reflected my frustration :grin:

In the meantime, it looks like I may now have it sorted, for an admin fee of 100€, so hope it goes smoothly! :+1:

Thanks Mark - I really hope I haven’t been duped, but the address that I see on the email response from the carte grise people, when I applied for the quad, is:

FORMALITÉ CARTE GRISE
78, avenue Raoul Briquet
62300 LENS

For the car, before locking on to an agent this morning, I was looking on the ANTS site last night, as I do have an account there which was set up for my driving licence application. When I was trying to get into the immatriculation section it wouldn’t allow me to access.

And re the car, because I moved to France before Brexit, with my car, I only had to get the quitus fiscal, which I have received, together with the certificate of conformity, so literally all I need to do was get the carte grise!

And the website I used Mark for the quad carte grise application is

And the reason I used that site was that it was provided to me by the gendarme that sold me the quad!

A quick Google of that address (and the many 1 star reviews connected to it) makes it look incredibly suspicious, but Mark is the expert here so I’ll leave it to him, but while that site may or may not be legit as much as the private business running it may be doing a reasonable job, that’s 100% nothing to to with ANTS, that’s the site of a private business doing what you can do yourself via ANTS for free.

Oh dear, but thanks for the response - very very helpful! Lesson learnt, never trust a gendarme :grinning:

Just checked the address myself and it is a small house in Lens, google report it permanently closed as well. As Kirstea noted the reviews are pretty savage as well.

Typical - gendarmes just plunged in my estimations!

I’m now trying to do the ‘simpler’ quad registration myself, and the ANTS site wont let me continue without a France Connect account - does anyone know how to do this, as just went to the impots site, entered my numero de fiscal and it wouldn’t accept it saying, I think, I first need to set up with the local tax office - very confusing, and any guidance much appreciated, before I lose all my hair!

You may not yet be able to process a vehicle registration yourself if you have not been here long enough to be added to the INSEE database. You are added by the tax people or health service dept but this can take some months. Until you are, you have no choice but to use a third party. Unfortunately the one you were directed to seems to have been one of the “formula” types who read but do not understand the process.
I hope you have not sent by post any original documents or yet paid any money.
For the record I am a garagiste & also provide the registration service - & gendarmes are human too & rarely register vehicles so are often no more up to speed than a member of the public!

1 Like

What happened to going to the nearest Prefecture that deals with Carte Grise. Admitted last time I used this route was 4 years ago.

“Since 2017, it is no longer possible to apply for a vehicle registration certificate (carte grise) at the counter of your prefecture. The process must be carried out on the internet, on the website of the Agence nationale des titres sécurisés (ANTS). All the procedures relating to the registration certificate are concerned.”

Hi Mark - in fact I did pay, albeit a small amount, and I did send the original carte grise, but do have a copy fortunately! Very much lesson learnt. I’ve been here one year now, and do have a numero fiscale, but maybe it takes even longer for the French system to be harmonised. Going to have another bash at trying to sort the France Connect out - hair becoming thinner :grinning: I really do try my hardest to avoid/limit touch points with the French system, as every time I do, seems to soak up great amounts of time :sleepy:

Thanks alot for the inputs - very very helpful! And much appreciated!!

I appreciate if you’ve already paid once you perhaps would rather not pay twice and instead sort it yourself, but many of us over the years have used @anon90504988 services to sort it out for us, so if you do hit any more bumps, or just want to hand over the hassle, shoot him a PM on here and go from there. I can’t recommend him enough myself.

I got carte grise sorted by Maz at J and M servicing for 30 euros. My insurance broker charges 50 euros and has a special machine to do it.

If your numero fiscale is taken from your taxe fonciere & you have not yet completed an INCOME tax return the number will probably not work. Second home owners who are not French residents pay taxe fonciere but are not domiciled.
If your are determined to go bald by all means continue, but if you get it wrong you can prevent anyone else doing it correctly as only one dossier per vehicle can be “live” at the same time.

If you’ve only been here a year, it’s possible that you’ve not been here long enough to have made your Annual French Declaration of Worldwide Income… ??

That is often the one “step” which stumps newcomers trying to use ANTS on their own.

Hi Mark

Can you please give me a brief list of the documents required to register a car that was imported from UK at end of Nov 2021 via ANTS.

Ideally I would like you to do the ANTS application for me again as you did a fine job last time.

Thanks

Mat

1 Like

Does the 6 month max MOT rule also no longer count - is a CT now needed in all cases?

I’ve never been able to re-register a UK car with an MoT (pre and post ANTS), no matter what the rules might say. Always had to get a CT done. Maybe I just look dodgy…:roll_eyes:

1 Like