Regular blood tests and medication

Yes, and that’s what I did if more than a few euros…but the EHIC itself was not required in any way.

I thought they had to go to the DWP for reimbursement…

Not since 2014 I believe

Hmmmm so a holiday visitor to France using a EHIC gets paid by CPAM?
Don’t see how that works to be frank.

Hi Carol - my OH also has his INR checked regularly, once a month and more frequent if there are issues. We are in the system so no worries with reimbursement. Most local towns will have a laboratory and you can call in without appt to have the blood taken and they will test the same day and usually offer results by internet. You will need an ordonnance (prescription), not sure if the lab would accept a UK one given that you will be paying for the tests rather than them submitting their fees to the SECU - you can ask. If you do need a French one you will need to pay for a consultation with a local doctor but they should be able to write one for the number of visits you require rather than one per test, this will reduce your costs. Same with not having to pay the nurse for a visit, plus they don’t always get the blood into the lab immediately! Hope this helps

We get to our “blood-bank” (which is what we call it)… between 7.30am and 8.30am… and the results are always available by 5pm same day … wonderful stuff.

They zap a message to my mobile, then I go on-line and printout the results. Our Doc gets a copy and rings if it is urgent… but I know what to do most of the time… :grin:

I can understand your skepticism but the NHS web site says:

thankfully I’ve never had to put it to the test.

Well CPAM make a claim to the UK for all the people with S1’s , so I guess they also make a claim for all the foreigners who use the french health services as they must have some sort of system in place.

I had understood that France charge the UK approx 3,500 for each S1 person whereas the average cost of looking after a retiree in Uk is more like 5,000 - so no wonder they don’t want us back. But not sure if that is true or not…

Me personally, no I’ve never had to use one. However having a valid EHIC card is the correct procedure for holidaymakers in France. As far as I am aware, as others have said, you pay the doctor then reclaim the payment from CPAM.

I sometimes wonder how much of the NHS workload would disappear if one had to do this in the UK.

2 Likes

Sure, it’s the correct procedure and the one that I followed. I’m merely curious if any holidaymaker in France has ever found anyone interested in it. Even when I made claims to CPAM they never asked me for it. It was enough to have a feuille de soins and a UK address.

my doc when i came here gave me a 6 month supply of my meds. I rang up after 3 months before i became permanent here and he gave me an extra 6 months. i made my supply last me nearly 18 months and now pay for it here.

Wow! Was that several years back? All the NHS rules now say that 3 months is the max, and that was my experience. Either that or you had a very generous GP!

I had a very nice GP. I was being given medical discharge with 2 years pay from the NHS for an injury received from a mental health patient.

Knowing I could not work when i arrived he gave me the lump package and i only got 1 charge for entire batch, when i went back for a check up it was same thing he gave me the refill for 1 charge.

Best GP I ever had to be honest

Brilliant! What a thoughtful doctor.