Relocation to Montpelier

Hi Stella,
This exactly my concern, a school for kids don’t speak French.

Hi Vero,
The Ages calculated base on October or the year itself?

They will need more input to get their French properly up to speed, they will need to read and practise with an educated adult native speaker, the friends will be useful for transactional French and cultural rules.
I see children all the time who are assumed to be bilingual (by monoglots) when that is absolutely not the case, they simply speak two languages, and sometimes even speak neither very well.
I’m sorry to disagree with you, but if your seven-year-old is giving you lessons, you aren’t really in a position to judge how good someone’s French may be.

1 Like

Not sure what your concern is . (unless you are concerned your kids will not eat the lunch ??? :wink:)

… as I have said, I’ve seen how non-French speaking kids seem to cope well in our ordinary French schools… :thinking: and the younger they start, the better.

(yes, extra tuition perhaps, but really - I don’t think you need to worry so much)

1 Like

Calendar year not academic year, as I said.

For example:
you go into CP the calendar year you are 6, anyone born between January 1 and December 31 2014 will be going into CP in September 2020, some will already be 6, some will be 5 and turn 6 between September and December.
The eldest in the class have January birthdays, the youngest have December birthdays, they all start in September regardless.

That’s useful info Vero… thanks. :slight_smile:

Thanks Veronique
Of course your right in what you say. Like all languages the key is to get a native to give you lessons.

That said dont for a second take my last part about my daughter giving me lessons seriously - it was a classic case of my “British humour” being a touch mis-understood !! No need to call the NSPCC re child labour !

Hi
To be honest I really don’t as I am blessed with a fantastic local school.
My thoughts (and not everyones on a blog who wish to comment!!) is that it is best if they are not surrounded with other English speaking kids. That way they get a full immersion. Of course the comfort of being able to ask for help to another English speaking child is re-assuring. Many of the parents and helpers in my local school hide the fact they can actually string a few English words together if needed, so I was never worried that my little one was not being heard.
Find a base > contact the school (or Mairie) > get involved in local events so you meet people and parents.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Not what I was getting at, Simon :grin: don’t worry.