Remembrance Day where you are

Probably telling what you already know Ian but Owen can be found in a public cemetary not too far from the belgian border. He and his comrades (about 28 ?) are in a CGWC cemetary within the public cemetary. From memory he was an MC (there is another MC & VC alongside him IIRC). He was killed in the last week of the war trying to defend the canal in the village. The spot on the canal where he fell is quite anonymous. Daily passers by would have no idea of the horrors that occured on that spot 96 years ago.

This one of Wilfred's is pretty harsh too :

"Oh what will you give me
Say the sad bells of Rhymney
Is there hope for the future,
Cry the bells of Merthyr
Who made the mine owner
Say the black bells of Rhondda
And robbed the miner
Cry the grim bells of Blaina

They will plunder willy-nilly
Cry the bells of Caerphilly
They have fangs , they have teeth
Say the loud bells of Neath
Even God is uneasy
Say the moist bells of Swansea
And what will you give me
Say the sad bells of Rhymney

Put the vandals in court
Say the bells of Newport
All would be well if, if, if
Cry the green bells of Cardiff
Why so worried, sisters, why
Sang the silver bells of Wye
And what will you give me
Say the sad bells of Rhymney"

Put to music by the Byrds of course, one of the tunes you can't forget.

A powerful piece of mickey-taking by Wilfred Owen attempting to dispell the widely felt belief at the beginning of the war that 'signing up' or 'taking the Kings Shilling' was a noble, exciting and even a macho thing to do for your country...

Wilfred Owen

Dulce Et Decorum Est (Pro patria mori)

or "It is sweet to die for your country"

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.

GAS! Gas! Quick, boys!-- An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And floundering like a man in fire or lime.--
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Sounds like a busy morning M-A ? Hope it all goes well.

Also hope the sw wind is kind to you, I expect le pineau will help...

In our villages, we have two, so we have two monuments to the dead of the Wars, I am Municipal councillor and live in one of the villages, we have 20 young men who died during WW1 in my village, I researched in the archives of the Mairie informations about each of the 20 soldiers with 4 other persons we will be reading and sharing some of the informations i found, we will go after that to the other monument and do the same about the 24 young men listed on that monument another municipal councilor did the same research in the archives and after that we go to the Salle Municipale to drink a glass of wine or pineau with the people from our villages.

Yes, there is actually, and for 8th May too ; I like that one the best, the fanfare play "Ami entends-tu le chant des oiseaux sur la plaine" which always does the trick ; there was a maquis round here made up mostly by the Péchiney aluminium works (closed in 1985) ouvriers (FTP of course), who sabotaged the works so it couldn't produce aluminium for the occupant ; good turn out every time Peter.

Sounds great, decent turn-out ?

Round here near Briançon there's a mass at 10h30, parade from the Mairie to the War Memorial at 11h00 with the town fanfare, standard bearers and pompiers leading ; there used to be an Alpine infantry picket but the regiment was dissolved ; they play a first tune then the Deputé-maire reads the Ancien Combattants minister's text ; then la Marseillaise, re-parade, apéritif at the salle des fêtes. This year they've slipped in a recent short film about this area and 1914 before the apéritif.

Our commune is very small (about 350 people).Roughly 25 people turn up for Rememberance Day-of whom 5 are British and 2 Dutch. We see them same 25 faces on May 8th as well. Very few young people seem to attend either ceremony -by young I mean between 18 and 30. I don't know why so few people attend.

Sounds identical to the ceremony I attend Claire. For me the banda makes the occasion. They always do a mini-concert after the event in the square which is brill !

Interestingly, friends who live a few kms away asked the Maire of their commune (12000 inhabitants) if they could lay their own wreath (brought from the UK) to lay at the cenotaph in memory of the Commonwealth personnel who fell in WW1 & WW2. Needless to say their request was granted and will therefore lay the wreath alongside the others.

We attend our Village one here in the Gers my parents come to ours rather than theirs 4Km away just because it’s more lively/ animated. There is the usual crocodile parade to the monument from the main square with pompiers , gendarmes 2 or 3 of them we are a small village plus the local band. The Primary school children read out the list of the fallen followed by the words “Mort pour la France” after each name plus the marie reads the official speech and lays the official wreath while the primary children lay bunches of flowers. After it’s back to the square for aperos. We usually wait until the cenotaph is clearing and go and lay our poppies that we have worn with the children’s flowers and then join back in with the others. I have always taken my children and the youngest will still go even though he’s now 20 and a student. The eldest would go if he was here but he’s studying abroad this year. I believe it’s important to remember for many reasons. I am always pleased to see that the primary school children are involved the ceremony in our village.

Hi David, great poem which says it all for me.

The idea of a general ceremony in english is great tho' maybe difficult to organise on the 11th when most people attend their own ceremonies as part of their community. Saying that, I attend both the 8th may & 11 nov in the next town rather than my own town (not too far from you actually) mainly because of the presence of the local banda. It's a nice friendly but poignant affair with a parade, music and drinks at the Mairie just after. Many brits attend as well as some dutch and a healthy local presence.

Both ceremonies are precious to me. I will certainly be wearing my poppy with pride yet again and just hope that some day peace will break out in our world....

What will you all be doing this year on the 11th ?

Great poem David - I looked it up as I'm sure others will find useful - it's called Final Inspection by Sgt Joshua Helterbran.

I was there with my poppy, I saw a few couples with poppies - low turn-out compared to previous years if I recall

I attend the local village French Remembrance events on both the 8th May and 11th November, but really would like to attend a British/English Speaking remembrance day parade on Remembrance Sunday in a main town, if there was enough interest I think it could be arranged at a different location each year. I live in the middle of France and I think the Marie of Aigurande would be willing to support it if approached officially. Anyone interested?

As an ex-Soldier I find the following poem very touching:

The Soldier stood and faced his God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

'Step forward now, you Soldier,
How shall I deal with you ?
Have you always turned the other cheek ?
To My Church have you been true?'

The Soldier squared his shoulders and said,
'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fear.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the Soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, dear Soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell.'

Here in Rochechouart it was a fairly simple affair. A march from the post office square to the monument in front of the Marie and chateau. Actually, didn’t see many poppies - just one couple I think. Must admit I did expect more. ![](upload://aNgLRZVCkkT0ukkDWVviNxdo8Rv.jpg)

The weekend will always be for those we went out with and who remain on patrol.
Sunday will be spent watching the fabulous event the RBL organise in London and then on Monday in our village here in Pepieux at the memorial.
I applaud those that encourage their young ones to remember and I know that it means a lot to those who have served and those who are still serving.

We are a very small commune. We will go to our memorial. Just down the lane from us. The youngest member of the commune will present the wreath. Someone will read the eulogy from Monsieur le President and then we will adjourn to the mairie for an aperitf. Our French neighbours were puzzled by our poppies until we explained their origin and symbolism. Somehow it seems for us more intimate than celebrations in UK despite the fact that our great uncles died in the War to end all Wars. Also because my father spent the best years of his life fighting the second European Civil War in N.Africa and Italy. Because of his travails I cannot be other than a passionate supporter of the European Union. The USA was forged on the fields of Gettysburg why shouldn't Europe be forged on the fields of Flanders and of Normandy?

It's quite a mad dash in our town of 6000 inhab. We start off at the memorial by the train station with a simple wreath laying ceremony that lasts about 3 minutes. We then stroll into the town centre where a small parade assembles in front of the mairie and everyone 'marches' to the War Memorial in another part of town where we have another short service where another wreath is laid and the official speech is read. Then the veterans are taken by coach to the cemetery outside of town whilst the rest of us leg it to get there before the full ceremony, with the local brass band starts. Then it's leg it back to the Mairie with aperitifs all round. Unfortunately there are not many younger people around which I think is terribly sad.

Sometimes we go to our friends village which is a tiny commune and practically the whole village turns out, including many children who are invited to sing the Marseilleise at the cemetery. Last year one of the youngsters was in charge of the cassette player for the music at the flag lowering - it was quite obvious he'd never operated such an antique piece of equipment before. My frinnds dad is ex-navy so he lays a poppy wreath and reads out the British 'We will remember them' speech at eh end, which is touching and very much appreciated. Their aperitif afterwards is more of a 'cocktail dinatoire' and again attended by everyone.

It's is part of our family ritual and I take my children (now 6 and 9) every year as I feel it is important never to forget. Not everyone remembers in the same way and I understand those who disagree with parades and so on but if the nation does not remember, the young will soon forget.