Renewing a French drivers licence

Thanks for that Jane. Interesting questions. They go way beyond the highway-code. The one on how lap in poppet valves with grinding paste after replacing a head gasket had me stumped :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s the only one I got right :innocent:

2 Likes

As the customs man said to an importer complaining about new paper work
“Your countrymen decided to leave, we didn’t want you to, or force the UK to withdraw from the EU, single marker, and Customs union”.

1 Like

Thank goodness that back in 1999 when I was given a job by the local haulage company that my date to start work was put back one day when the sub-prefecture told them that I must have a French licence to drive an HGV.

So off I went with my UK licence and at the same time got us both a carte de sejour.

Later, I realised that my wife’s licence would expire when she reached 70 so advised her to do the same. So the absolute horror, 21 years later, of being confined to our rural home was avoided.

So a big thank you to the Sub-Prefecture, even though in 2016 they told me that my application for a replacement of my now expired CdS was ‘a renewal’ not a ‘new one’ and thus caused me no end of problems. :roll_eyes:

If you passed your test in France then you can reactivate your French licence by exchange. You will need to know your NEPH number, if you don’t then contact ANTS.

Thank you fir that valuable information What is an NEPH number? I was going ti send a message to ANTS

I have my drivers licence number.

https://www.codeclic.com/code-de-la-route/numero-neph.html

Thank you very much Martin for your help. I will give it a go and see what happens. Linda

I received the following frim the British embassy in Paris when I e mailed them.

We appreciate your concern and need for clarity.

We are aware that the ANTS (Agence National des Titres Sécurisés) online platform is not currently accepting new applications to exchange UK driving licences. The rules for exchanging UK driving licences have not yet been confirmed, so it is not currently possible to apply to exchange a UK licence for a French one. Rules are subject to a potential bilateral agreement between the UK and France.

We are in close contact with the French authorities to confirm arrangements regarding driving licence exchanges and will share any updates as soon as we have them.

In the meantime, you can continue to drive in France with valid a UK licence, which continues to be recognised in France for both visitors and residents until 31 December 2021.

Please note that if your UK driving licence has expired, it will no longer be considered a valid document. We are working towards a reciprocal agreement and will continue to update our guidance as new information becomes available.

That’s the standard reply right now.