Renewing UK Passport from France 2022

Hi all

Just renewed my passport.

Very simple process.

Sent off my application on 6th June, and my new passport arrived 8th Aug.

The site says it will take 11 weeks to process, but was quite a bit quicker than that.

Overseas passport renewals go to Durham, which i believe has a faster processing time.

One point to be aware of , my passort expired in Feb 23,. The new one has an issue date of Aug 2022 and expires in Aug 2032. So not Feb 2033 as I was hoping. So you lose any unexpired time on you old passort.

Hope this helps

Andy

1 Like

Did you use the on-line system… or sending by post ???

Irrelevant i guess but i applied to renew in the UK on Friday. Took my own photo and uploaded it. Sent my old passport on Saturday and received a text yesterday saying it had been received. Official wait time is 10 weeks. Will update if anyone is interested.
Izzy x

2 Likes

Morning Stella,

Used the on-line system, found it very easy.

Once you have an electronic photo uploaded and approved, you get a reference number. Send off your old passport and job done.

The only tricky bit was that it took 3 gos at getting a photo approved. We used our mobile phone, the problem was with shadows as it was very sunny when we did it.

Andy

2 Likes

It’s always interesting to hear how things are working… but, I’m in France with no possibility of being in UK… which is why I’m asking folk about the French-angle… :wink:

1 Like

We did 2 recently and the biggest delay was sending in the old passport, sent it signed for ect and it took weeks to get there :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I used it about a year ago, very simple and delivery was surprisingly quick.

1 Like

Well, this sounds like a useful project for us to set up… and we’ve plenty of time to find the right situation for each of us to photograph the other.
If we take a variety of shots, we’ll only keep what we consider are the best of the bunch…
Then at least I won’t be panicking if asked to “try again…”

I think the various postal strikes in the UK may delay things a bit too - I sent a birthday card to the UK recently and it took 10 days to get there.

2 Likes

This link gives written and visual-aid advice on photos… with ticks and crosses to highlight the good and the unacceptable…

I’ve highlighted some of the requirements for us DIYers

2 Likes

Once you’ve uploaded the photo it will tell you if it’s a good photo or not. The first one I uploaded said “poor” and explained that there was shadow on my face. You can keep uploading until you get one that the system says is “good”.
Izzy x

3 Likes

Me too. Bliss…

1 Like

I think that’s intentional to better adhere to the Schengen rules that passports are not valid more than 10 years after their date of issue.

Those Brexit benefits pop up in all sorts of places, don’t they? :slight_smile:

Just joined this forum a few mins ago and saw this thread. I did my passport online just over a week ago (it had expired earlier in the year but as I was moving I had no fixed address etc) Anyway my son took a photo of me which was accepted on the online passport page and we paid by french debit card which came out at €124. I then went to the local post office next door and sent the old passport to Durham via an International signed receipt, an ordinary yellow LRAR is not accepted for UK bound post!. They told us online that the expected date for the new passport was around 11/12 weeks yet my son in law in Texas sent his earlier this year via Canada and it was back in ten days via courrier. I am a huge technophobe but going through the questions with my son made it quite an easy and painless operation and the best thing is I won’t have to do it for another ten years either.

5 Likes

Hello @Shiba and welcome to the forum…

glad to hear you had no probs with the on-line… well done.

Thanks. Always a bit dubious about online forms etc. Just downloaded all 22pages for claiming UK pension ready for end of year as demanded. I had hoped that as I had worked here it would be transferred to Carsat, but no, they do not do that now so dealing with them also, all very stressful.

good grief 22 pages… that’s half a tree :wink: :wink:
Anyway, it’s too hot for stress… wait for a cooler day before you start looking at all those pages… and you’ve got plenty of time.

Yes, got a brand new garden to start digging once the weather drops below the current daily 36°C plus, its compacted clay with all the builder’s debris here and there plus I was warned to be careful of any sleeping snakes in the vegetation by my pompier neighbour and after my son had a very long serpent cross the road where he lives nearby and go under his house, I am always on the lookout for slitherers and creepy things.

Welcome, Shiba and good luck with the digging. But I have to ask: why did the serpent cross the road?

1 Like

To get to the other slide?

1 Like