Rental apartment's power sockets are not earthed

Electricy Normes are the responsibility of the Owner. The Owner would have to prove that the Tenant had messed with previously impeccable electrical supply.

hummm
Given that normes change (usually for the better) if the normes were met at the beginning of the tenancy does an obligation arise on a lessor to be in constant “check” mode to update to new emerging standards if the standard which existed at the time the lease was let was signed off as compliant?

So did they pay out in the end?

As I have said, when considering a change in Tenant , the situation re Normes needs to be revisited.

During a Tenancy, if there is some change which is deemed absolutely essential to do “now” that would be have to be done within the timeframe defined by the law and might fall within the actual tenancy or not… all depends on the security aspect etc.

The unearthed sockets are in the lounge and/or bedroom. The kitchen is earthed. From searching Google, it looks like these were the norms in the 1980s.

The multirisk insurance I got for the apartment (it is necessary to sign the contract) did not ask for any of these details. However, if this is going to be a problem with claiming insurance, it is also worth sorting out for that.

Charles - as I have said - any Lease Rental Property should meet the current normes for electricity - not the normes of 1980 and it is the Owner who should ensure these normes are met before installing a new Tenant.

I can only tell it how it is… after that folk can (and will) do their own thing.

Il faut néanmoins rappeler que la norme applicable dans un logement est celle entrée en vigueur au jour de sa construction ou de sa transformation. Celle-ci peut donc être moins exigeante que la norme actuelle. Pour évaluer la préoccupation de sécurité du propriétaire bailleur, les juges tiennent également compte de l’état général de l’installation électrique .

Pour renforcer davantage la sécurité des locataires , le diagnostic électrique obligatoire est entré en vigueur au 1er juillet 2017 . Valable 6 ans, il doit être réalisé par un professionnel certifié dans toute location d’un immeuble collectif ayant un permis de construire délivré avant le 1er janvier 1975. Cette obligation s’étendra à tous les logements à partir de juillet 2018 .

Yes, but much reduced.

Hi Charles
If you have concerns with the electricians report or if it is over 6 yrs old you can have it redone.

Any necessary work will of course have to conform to todays standards/normes.

We are talking about a 3-year rental not a holiday home/gite, of course and it is much more than “just” electrics.

There are now clearly defined levels of “decent living standards” all of which the Owner is responsible for. :thinking:

Electrics is not any area to be lackadaisical with… the Owner has clear responsibilities and the Tenant has the right to be living in a safe property… with the plugs/switches etc that the normes dictate.

Incidentally, some years back (2006?) the normes dictated a telephone socket in every room (bar the bathroom). We baulked at doing that, but were told the magic words “les normes”… grrrr

I wonder if that norme was ever changed :thinking:

Thanks. I will ask the agency about this on Monday. The electrician’s report is only a few weeks old.

However, I am not sure if the landlord is legally obligated to fix it (ie, does every home rented out today have to conform to the norms of today).

Not according to the article, but of course it is the owners responsibility to ensure all existing installations are safe and conform to all legal requirements. Which the electricians report is there to validate or not as the case may be.

Having only seen the barest snippet of the Electrical Report that Charles is querying, it is difficult to know just what is being said. However, does the Report say anywhere that it conforms to the normes of ***** ??

Feel free to argue the toss. I have reported what the Adjointe Maire said. She knows her stuff after 5 tours.

I shall now leave the fray… carry on without me, please.

I’m off to watch the football.

“This obligation will extend to all housing units from July 2018. This extension to the entire rental fleet will allow better control of electrical installations and reveal certain risks such as those related to heating, for example, the threat of an incident. being all the greater in cold weather.”

I bought a tester in Castorama. It cost about 16 Euro and indicates if a socket is correctly wired including if it has correct polarity and an earth. It is surprising what I have discovered in French houses and apartments including some recently rewired or new premises.

1 Like

I emailed the rental agency, and they said the apartment does meet the required “norms”. And that I will have no problems with the insurance.

They said that the sockets which are not earthed (in the bedroom and lounge) are sufficiently compensated by the RCD (with a sensitivity of <30 mA). The sockets in the kitchen and bathroom are earthed.

These are apparently the “norms” for buildings. I assume that newer buildings are constructed with higher standards that exceed the “norms” (ie, all sockets in the house are earthed).

When one lacks the language skills, it is always difficult to know whether or not something is “correct”. You have asked them the question and they have replied (hopefully you have understood one another correctly.)

It is always a good idea to keep safe any confirmations or undertaking - in case of future need.

It might be a good idea to ensure you have correctly understood the Rental Contract you will be signing… in fact - any document or contract for whatever.