Residency status

But @Corona is in the UK surely and isn’t eligible for the Withdrawal Agreement provisions - he is stuck with the Third Country National regulations. Why should they harden, particularly?

Thanks for your post @anon88169868 that’s what I found and I’m sure there used to be figures for retirees so it isn’t just me being daft not finding them!

2 Likes

But if he can show he was ‘in France’ before 31 Dec 2020 via home ownership etc he will be eligible for WARP…

…because they always do, Angela … Also political changes may in due course add to this tendency.

Yes of course - that’s why I mentioned the language requirement. If anything will harden, that will be the first I should imagine…

1 Like

Brian that was how I had thought WA applications were being processed too so ie without any link in that direction. But @JaneJones and my IFA thought best to think carefully and be aware of potential reviews in the future.

Fr apparently did get the Snoopers Charter law passed and it’s now operational for a given period then will be reviewed which is why I’m not repeating all the phrases. But someone told me yesterday a lot of info is being hoovered up and now accessible under this in Fr so I would advise anyone to apply while they can but keep track of any relevant records

1 Like

John will obviously make his own judgements about the best way forward for him.

However it’s one thing to suggest people fudge a WARP application even tho’ they haven’t really been resident, but one would then have to be properly resident in 2021. Which would mean moving tax residency, healthcare, car registration etc etc etc. And being in France for a minimum of 6 months or you could loose residency if less than 5 year card.

I don’t think residency is something to take lightly and as just an administrative matter.

3 Likes

btw Brian did those people get 5, or 10 when it came through?

10 year TdS

Jane - I agree entirely. But I know that John has been established in France for some time so hoped that the info I had gleaned might be useful.

Whatever happens, I’ll be pleased if there are more helpful people like John in France :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Me too!

That’s very kind of you both and thanks everyone for their help, plenty to think about and quite soon by the sound of it. XXX

2 Likes

It seems tiny because it’s a minimum requirement that only applies to (third country) students.

If you apply under WA I understand that your state pension will be uprated each year as if you are in the UK. This will be the case even if you are currently under state pension age. If you apply after Brexit this uprating won’t happen.

2 Likes

Yes that was the info produced when I specified I wanted to move to France and start a business.

I think your comment is incorrect:

Somewhere, there is a document/site which outlines the differences for those folk who are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement… and all those who are NOT… ie those folk who seek to Reside in France after 31/12/2020

@graham have you any clues… ???

Nope. Currently no changes planned.

Sorry. Yes you are right. One of the changes suggested pre-Brexit didn’t come to pass then, that makes a change.

1 Like

I can find a few references… this one was a topic started by your good self CdS online Portal
and this one also started by you.
but I’m not sure those are what you are refering to.

I’ll take a look… the trouble is there was so much waffle from UK govt (and threats) for so long it’s all become rather confusing… trying to figure what has actually been gained.

But I do know I’d rather have a WARP than not…

cheers

1 Like