Retirement in France

I remember seeing this clip last year. Must have been a bit of a hairy time for your friends!

Things that go bang are tempting. Because we are on limestone bedrock, part of the groundwork done for building is blasted. I had several firing caps from the explosives from the local demolition bloke who was here blasting for a somebody's new fosse against a bottle of crap whisky that I wired up and put in half a dozen tunnels. I was clear for a couple of weeks then back they came. But I would do it every day. Once we have cleared the (@@@@@@@@) nettles in the area, then those critters are going to get it one way or another.

We often go to Brittany for hols. At first we used to be centred around the Abers, as we have a friend who lives near Lanilis ; then we did a couple of years around the Etel estuary, with a visit to a mate who has a gîte on Belle-Île and last year we did the Lorient Celtic Festival, Groix island and then a touring circuit around Tréguier, Paimpol, Bréhat island and Brocéliande Forest - Merlin's grave is hilarious with all the New-agers flocking there on pilgrimages :)

I'm beginning to think you have something against Brittany & it's climate. How many times must I tell you that the rain & wind is misinformation propagated to keep out the Hoi Polloi. We live under the influence of the Gulf stream which ensures that all in it's embrace live in the most benign conditions .

Strychnine used to work well until it was banned and the Chloralose is a poor replacement. Traps work well tho' the biggest problem is when the user doesn't wear gloves. Moles have a good sense of smell and tend to not appreciate human odours. Explosive devices, banned in most countries tho' still legal if France have limited effect, not to mention the danger to users ! Gases & water can be effective as is the old french country remedy with the 'aubepine' but not many moles argue with a spade !

If you're asking me how I deal with moles, I've got a magic home brewed gizmo that uses 12mm/36 gauge bird shot cartridges which cost about 40 centimes each. I've made a couple now after my last reported battle with our furry fiends but can't show you a pic. as they are out on loan. I've got to get one back as the moles are invading me again so I'll publish a picture of this ultimate killing machine later if you're not too faint hearted ;-)

Trouble is that they are right in amongst thick clumps of nettles and a lot of them. Flatten the mounds and the nettles are flattened too. Aaaaaargh! At least the blade on the brushcutter spreads them.

Dealing with moles. Swearing a lot. Mind you that never helps. Mole traps, stuff that is supposed to kill them, a hose into their tunnels then water on full blast (well is full right now so plenty to spare) and other games are all to no avail. The long wet spring seems to have given them more worms and slugs to eat so that they reproduce like mad and the long mild autumn without rock hard soil seems to mean there are so many we could spend every day just walking around splatting their hills. Without the nettles I often take the soil to replenish places that need it, but the risk of carrying roots... No thanks.

I think the idea is to flatten the molehills first Brian !

How do you deal with moles ?

Inspecting nettles a moment ago. The (bad word) things are growing as fast as in the height of summer but the ground is all mashed up by (second bad word) molehills that block the mower blade, so I'll have to get madame out there with the brushcutter toute suite. The only white hereabouts (near Bergerac) will be the white flags if some of us give up the ghost and surrender to nature and her nettles :-(

"Great place to live"

Pity about the wind, rain & sub-zero temperatures !

That's us. just inland from Concarneau. The peace of the country with the sea 15 mins. away. Great place to live. The granite coast takes a bashing this time of the year. Brittany Rocks. :-)

We know it! We sometimes visit our friends who come from Sein- now that is an interesting and special place! Winter is a little wild! Our friends's house is the white one on the left of this clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhfuYDJThE

If you are in the Cap Sizun (where else, if you call it Earth End?) then at least you're surrounded by beauty and the amazing Atlantic sea! Reading you made me think of home (I'm from Audierne).

Patrick Le Guirriec was very much a follower of Bourdieu in the 1980s. He was the Bretagne human history man, used a cultural ethnography approach like the sociologist. My mrs has Paysans, parents, partisans dans les Monts d'Arrée by him. It is a study of the people of the mountain areas on the old Cornouaille and Léon border, Scrignac where you live especially. That's also Vic land Finistère. I have 'glanced' at it a couple of years ago whilst trying to think about how it would be possible to look at this area. Worth a read David and Vic, if still available, but I imagine 30 years have changed the area a lot except under the surface.

Prof Patrick Le Guirrec of Universite de Tours- solid guy but right out of my area- save I have a love of history and geography and became an architect

you're welcome :-)

PlutoIcon

Thank you Plato.....

Of course it is/was. Much easier to spot arseholes when looking up ;-)

A man of humble beginnings like so many of his profession it seems. Is/was it preferable to be born into the lower classes in order to appreciate and see 'life' from the working classes as opposed to beng born into the more middle casses aka Sartre maybe ?

Sounds like it was one of Bourdieu's people. The man himself, who is actually one of my biggest influences, died in 2002 but I have no idea what the ethno-sociology and cultural anthropology was like after then. However, his 1970s 'Le Patronat' research and into the 1980s is just about the right time for whatever was done there David.