Retirement question- Pension from UK and France

Yes, that does have an impact - especially with poor interest rates in UK. But still works for us, if we get it right on the exchange rate we can make more money that we would with interest rates. We give enough money to charity each year to mean we pay no french tax, so just (just!) social charges.

As always, it’s horses for courses - and we are all in different positions and so will have differing ideas.

Whatever folk do with the money, it must be borne in mind that whatever is gained, from whatever source - must be declared in France, under worldwide income. Some folk still have difficulty with that idea… :roll_eyes:

I understand @JaneJones view re exchange rates - although there have been many years when the £ v € worked in our favour.

I am used to budgeting and, once the monthly bills are covered, general shopping is done on what is left over.

Hi Stella
Yes we are both entitled to French pensions too. Does this make a difference,?
I just want to know how the uk pay the pension, do they pay us direct or do they pay the French govt and then they pay us?
We don’t have an account in the uk lol been away too long lol
Thanks for everyone s replies
Hugs

Hi Ann… I seem to recall reading about a person being entitled to UK Pension & French Pension … having France “take charge” (obviously after liaison with UK) and thus paying the whole lot through France… :crazy_face:

Now, I have quite possibly muddled one situation with another, but it’s definitely here , somewhere on the forum.

I’m hoping my “explanation” will jog someone’s memory…

@anon27586881 does this ring any bells with you ???

It seems to be very much the case here that there are the rules, and then there’s what happens in practice. Maybe it depends on how you go about applying.

Having said all that, just this morning there is a headline in the local press about changes in the “points de retraite” system and who are the winners and who are the losers. Plus, in the course of my recent camping car peregrinations I stopped with farmer friends in Brittany, except that they are no longer farming - apparently they have been hit hard by recent changes in retirement pensions for agriculteurs, and for reasons which I did not entirely follow (and they admit they had difficulty in putting together themselves) but partly to do with the pension change and partly to do with land ownership issues they concluded/were advised that the best way to minimise the impact was to stop farming asap. So they took on a couple of stagiaires, spent a year training them up, and have now handed the farm over to them. My friends are currently living in a “fourgon” and in the process of finding a new home, that’s how rushed it all was. They are still sorting out the paperwork and are finding it all stressful, to be honest they still seem in a bit of state of shock at having had to turn their lives upside down just so as to be able to afford to grow old.
So one way and another I think the pension outlook in France might be on shifting sands.

I’m sure I saw that thread too @Stella and at the time it raised a question in my mind about how that might work given the volatility of the exchange rate.
Can you expect to get a “level” contribution from the UK to the French Euro for the life of the pension or does it fluctuate with the rate (as the rest of us have to suffer) and if so, at what point is the contribution from the UK set?

I just found it… and lost it again…:rofl:

France takes on board the trimestres worked in UK… when working out French Pension (or something like that)… I’ll go trawling again… :wink:

@Brian_Furzer will probably know the answer… but this link makes interesting reading.

@Ann

If UK do pay your pension directly to you… there is no problem whatsoever with them paying to a French Bank Account. - so that is one worry to cross off your list…:wink:

1 Like

For m’y hubby who is coming up to 62; they have taken into account the trimesters spent in Germany,Switzerland and England
He will be receiving a pension from Germany also…
My French sister in law receives her German pension directly into her account. Every year she has to send them an attestation from the mayor to say she is still living …

Sounds very well organised…

Most (possibly all) Pension Providers like to be sure they are paying someone who is still living… :thinking:

Certainly, we have to fill in forms regularly and the Postmistress or the Mairie are very obliging.

1 Like

We are (or were) Americans. Our process for receiving pensions upon retirement were as follows: first, we called the American embassy in Paris. They were extremely helpful, and set everything up for us. A month later, the money goes directly to our bank account, already transferred into euros. Easy-peasy. Each year at tax time, I need to write in the real euro amount for each month, as our paper proof of income is in dollars, thus not what we actually received euro-wise , which has always been less. Since the bank has always received our pension in euros, we have proof.

I also receive a form each year from the US to verify that we are still living and at the same address, haha.

That’s very interesting if the brexit goes through before my hubby claims his pension in uk…3 years to go lol lol :joy:

I came to France in 1969 at the age of 22.
8 years ago when I applied for my French pension they asked about my UK career and helped me manage it.
The two pensions are credited to my bank account separately. The UK arrives in £ and converted at the daily rate. An amusing aside is that my French wife, who has never lived in the UK, also receives a monthly UK payement (about 50% of mine) simply because she is my wife !
Vis à vis France one is expected to declare the UK pension here.

1 Like

This tells you about amalgamating your pension if you have worked in more than one EU country. Note .eu for authenticity.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/retire-abroad/state-pensions-abroad/index_en

My wife was entitled from the U.K. and Luxembourg. Three years ago when she was within five years of the Luxembourg official retirement age she was able to ask the Lux pension office to request info from the U.K.
The UK were a little slow (2 reminders) but ultimately the matter was sorted out.

Thanks for this Graham. This subject was discussed previously and I posted a couple of links that others may find useful that supports what you say and how to contact the pensions department in Newcastle. Here is that thread once again.

I recall being told by @JohnBoy that this was incorrect information.

However, this is definitely the correct way to currently claim your state pension if you live & work in France. After Brexit, who knows?! :crazy_face:

I suggest that the link that Mandy has referred to is read in full by anyone approaching retirement and then contact the authorities to check thier personal situation with them rather than taking the word of Mandy, me or anyone else. All have offered advice in good faith but it is the pension service of whichever country who have the final say. For what it is worth I claimed my French pension first which was only granted after they had recieved information from the UK to show how many years I had paid in there. When I recieved my French pension I was also given a calculation print out of how the pension had been arrived at.
When claiming my UK pension I applied via the international pension service and with all the info that was required I also sent the original printout from French authorities of which I kept a copy.
All certified documents were returned to me when uk had seen them but not the original documents from French authorities, which the uk have retained which presumably now rest there with my file.
After a few weeks I recieved confirmation from UK of my pension entitlement which I now receive every 4 weeks paid into a UK account so I can transfer my pension if and when I need it and at an exchange rate that suits me.
I have already explained all this in the thread that Mandy has referred to and it worked for me and I am certain that neither France or UK would pay me a pension to which I am not entitled.

1 Like

Thank you John

Many thanks for this, this is exactly what I was looking for :blush:
What a lot of paperwork though …
many thanks
Hugs

1 Like

True perhaps for the state pension - but another thing altogether for ‘private’ contributory pension schemes (I have three - thank you Maggie) all small. One of them wants to charge me 10£ / month to pay it into a French bank account. 120£ / year for a small pension. Robbery by any other name.

those small pensions can surely be paid into a UK bank account. You simply include the annual amount in your French Worldwide Declaration along with all the other stuff…