Returning UK registered but not MOT'd car to uk

Hi rendi60. Did they pick up and drop off where you wanted them to or was it a designated area stipulated by them?

I will investigate also.

It must not be permanently exported apparently.

He collected from my former home in UK and delivered to my home in France. It took 5 days as he had some issues due to poor advice on customs arrangements etc but I would recommend him as he never gave up. Car arrived in good condition. I would think it would be easier taking UK reg car back to UK too.

Joey sounds perfect. I will have to try and contact him directly

Nut did you get stopped? As you can take the risk and do alls sorts of things that arenā€™t actually legal!

One can get a UK registered car undergo a CT.

I did this when we imported our car into France.

1 Like

About twenty years ago I reimported a 280 Merc coupĆ© from S Africa and drove it around (insured) and eventually MoTā€™d for a couple of weeks on funky Eastern Cape picture plates (featuring an aloe and elephant) prior to a pre-booked meeting with the DVLA to convert it to boring UK plates.

Obviously the key issue is valid insurance, I think if youā€™ve got that everything else should fall into place, and unless things have changed dramatically itā€™s a lot cheaper and simpler than the French immatriculation process (have just been through this with a BMW that I bought in Germany)

Left the locally built, 450SLC boulevard cruiser behind, as wasnā€™t able to afford to run it in the UK.

Hi @rendi60

Iā€™ve had a quick look at Shiply but you have to fill in all details before they will supply quotes. Could you please DM with contact details for Joey Cars? I have a UK reg car and motorbike I will almost certainly need to return to the UK.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I have just emailed Joe to ask if its okay to pass on his details.

Thank you!

Dead right. In fact you have to, otherwise you canā€™t apply for the CG.

How much is the car worth Kevin?

When the UK was in Europe?

Seems that things change. We had to re-register within limits of MOT and then got CT a while later. But pre-Brexit, so MOT was still considered an acceptable thing.

In my case - yes.
The car had a valid MOT, but I decided to get a CT done anyway (belt & braces).

It used to be so easy but now a minfield ā€¦I want to take my 6yr old A6 Avant back to sell in uk (unless anyone makes me a sensible offer here hint hint!) so i can buy a lhd car here, but I think I have to go through the nause of re-importing it, before i can register it and get MOT, only then can try to sell itā€¦and I canā€™t say there for weeks to do this and no dealer will be interested to do that unless he steals it off me.

A few years ago i took a car back to the UK like this. I had booked an MOT at the BP garage in Dover (just off the roundabout) and carried a copy of the email with me. All vehicles coming through the ports are run on the ANPR system and those that dont meet the requirments are flagged. Your biggest problem is the fact you SORNā€™d it which means the only way is too transport on trailer.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to thank everyone for their input and advice. As a result I am in contact with shiply and am in the process of finding a transporter ā€œnot Jason Statham thoughā€ to ship my caddy back to uk

1 Like

Hi John. About Ā£3500

Kelvin , Joe has a website 201recovery. His details are on that.

Thank you. Iā€™ll get in touch
Cheers Kelvin