Review Home Internet - 4G Box from Bouygues Telecom

I’d guess it should make no difference Mat whether it’s a phone or a route.

I agree Graham but I don’t know if you can enter a PUK on a router??? If not I guess you could insert it into a phone and reset the Pin.e

On the TP-Link I’ve set PIN verification to off. I don’t have the Huawei online these days.

1 Like

Thanks all for the replies, tried 0000 and it worked ok so set up and running on the new router also have set up a Mesh network using Tenda Nova AC1200 units which is fantastic so now have WiFi throughout the house and most of the garden and can just walk about with smooth transitions.
Thanks again for the help.
Steve

1 Like

I keep reading this thread in the hope that I might learn something useful. I’m sure there’s some very valuable stuff here but it feels like listening to the quantum physics answers on University Challenge. I may have to lie down in a darkened room. At some point I’ll try reading it all again, but not right now. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

New record… Ordered a second antenna for the salon.

installed inside or outside John?
and which antenna?

This one Graham, as recommended by Nigel Barker.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07Y1N9ZTF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just have it stuck to the inside of the window by its “sucker”, with a bit of string as a safety device :roll_eyes:

Impressive!
Not sure it would work with the Bouygues B528 router though…

Well rabbits ears are pretty small. Certainly better than a phone’s but not much better. The twin cables from the antenna just screw into where the ears went. I don’t think the router knows what’s attached, it’ll just see a much stronger signal.

Hi all!
I want to buy 4G box by Bouygues.
does it need a sim to work? power cable only? can I take it with me around?

Please, send me information is very very important :slight_smile:
Roberto

I think you might have a problem with that with Bouygues as the contract seems to refer to the router being installed in one place. If they get wind of it being used on a regular basis in different places (the SIM logs to the nearest mast so they can tell) they might disable it.
You can use Bouygues chat facility to ask them the quaestion I suppose.
Others have suggested earlier in this thread buying a TP-Link router and subscribing to a data only SIM which will work in the way you describe.

Ok thanks for the reply!
Do they ship the 4g box directly to my home? when it arrives it works immediately or do I have to insert a SIM or do something else? does it come with everything I need?

In our case they sent to a delivery point where we had to provide ID to collect. The SIM was sent separately for security reasons. We had to provide bank details in order to set up the account but IIRC it didn’t take long to arrange. Everything else was in the package.

@Roberto_Cittadini
I just checked our records… IIRC the SIM was included in a separate envelope inside the box with the router so it was all ready to go when we got it. That would explain the point retraite delivery requiring ID as opposed to home delivery direct.

@graham - why would it bother them if you used it elsewhere?

No idea… just the contract terms to keep track of their devices I guess.
That said, I did use mine in a friends address briefly to show him if/how it would work at his place (it did) and there were no consequences but perhaps if I had persisted at a different address :thinking:

It’s fairly straight forward, just everyone likes to use jargon to sound as if they know better.

Instead of your ‘connectivity’ i.e. talk-text-internet arriving through your telephone line from the pole over the road into an orange livebox, you received the same info wirelessly as you do already on your mobile phone.

The (only ?) drawback is that if you have a poor mobile phone signal strength, then you will then have a poor internet connection.

However if you have a good mobile connection and you’re nearish to the mast, and you get 4G, then all you are doing is buying a box which is in effect a giant mobile phone that doesn’t let you speak or text, but gives you either wirelessly or by wire, an excellent internet connection. you need a SIM card that instead of going into your phone goes into the ‘giant mobile phone’ otherwise known as a 4G or LTE Router. Currently RED SFR are doing 80Gb a month SIM card for €14, which covers most folks downloads.

So, buy a box, buy a SIM card, and off you go. Setting it up is no more difficult than that for a modern TV or SAT system, which will guide you as to whether you need someone to help or not.

Our Internet jumped from the Orange phone line 2-3 Mbs to 30+ Mbs immediately. Apparently (in some cases) you can also connect a hand held phone as well, and get the free unlimited minutes and texts, but it didn’t work for me (Huawei box) and as I was so elated with the new speed, and happy with my existing mobile, I didn’t bother any further.

After 4 years of crap Orange performance I was seriously impressed with what the Box and SIM card gives me.

Sorry, Not correct.
The internal aerial in a 4G box is infinatley more efficient than the the one fitted to a mobile phone, so in circumstances where a mobile phone struggles to obtain a signal, the 4G box may work better. Added to that is the fact that an external aerial can be fitted to strengthen the 4G signal.

There are a number of contributors to this thread who I know do indeed « know better » as you so eloquently put it and have considerable experience in this field, so I think your swipe at them is somewhat unjustified…

1 Like

What an interesting thread!
Long story a little shorter, I tried a 4G router after many years of increasingly crap and ridiculously expensive service from a satellite provider which culminated in me closing my account. I tried the popular TP-Link MR6400 with a Bouygues 4G clé and was astonished at the results. Adding an external antenna improved things further… but the router had issues, requiring constant rebooting to keep it alive and connected. Replaced it with a FritzBox 6890 and all was great, except for the miserly 40Gb / mth allowance. Not enough (I work from home, wife regularly does too and our two sons suck up any bandwidth they can find). Bouygues 4G Box sounded ideal, but apparently we weren’t eligible according to the web app. No idea why because ADSL manages an outstanding 400kbs. 30 minutes in the nearest shop resolved that and I walked out with their latest Huawei router and an unlimited sim for a discounted 26€/mth.

The interesting bit: the sim will not work in the FritzBox. It can access the sim ok and it seems to be functioning, but there is zero reception. I tried searching for other towers in the area and found at least three which I can reach with the antenna I’m using. All the same though: no reception. With the sim in the Bouygues 4G box, it works. Patchy reception without the external antenna and excellent with.

To close the loop I tried the 4G clé sim in the 4G Box… it too doesn’t work! Why, I don’t know, but I’ll likely find out soon. It’s very early days for me, having just got the box this morning, but I’m impressed so far.

Cheers… Paul

1 Like

are you using an exterior aerial with the Bouygues router - and if so, which aerial are you using?

Ooops… sorry for the latency. I must pay more attention!

Yes, and it’s this: Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0002

Cheers… Paul

1 Like