Road sign riddle

Oh well, off you jolly well go, then!

I’ve found this 80/90 kph situation confusing. It hasn’t helped at all that my satnav always shows 80 as the fastest speed, even when 90 is signposted. It’s the first time I’ve driven in France. It’s frustrating when most French drivers overtake me yet I still may have unwittingly broken the limit on single carriageways when there have been no signs. Have the various departments uniformly either reverted to 90 or stayed at 80 of have all the departments made decisions on a road by road basis.

No

Yes, which is what makes it more than a little confusing. Some departments kept everything 80, some changed everything back to 90, and some kept most at 80 then selected certain ones which they felt it was safe to switch back to 90.

This is an obvious point but you have got it up to date? Mine took a moment to switch down from 90 to 80 when that occurred, and has then taken a little while to change the local roads back to 90 that have been changed, but they are showing correctly now, but I appreciate I can only comment on my local ones so perhaps I’m just lucky.

Thanks for the clarification. I updated the satnav for my Skoda with the latest available software. I might resort to Google (which I don’t like) for longer journeys - like back to the port.
Do the French allow any percentage on top of the limit? We’ve driven over 2000km so far.
I haven’t had a speeding fine since the 80s in the UK but it’s a lot easier to stay out of trouble there.

1 Like

Yes, there is a tolerance of 5-7km for fixed cameras, and 10km for mobile units. But in general same fine and points for going 1km/h over or 19km/h over.

A bit more complex than that, but that’s the broad outline.

I find that most of the roads I use regularly are too twisty/hilly/covered in mud/full of tractors to allow 80kph, so it hasn’t been a problem for me.

It’s not like a Duster or a Megane actually encourage spirited driving anyway.

:+1:

5kph if the limit is ≤ 100kph, 5% if the limit is > 100kph for fixed cameras.

10kph and 10% for mobile cameras.

Also do not forget that your speedo is likely to be reading lower than true road speed - in our Mazda last week 85mph indicated = 130kph displayed on the satnav. This somewhat feeds into myths about tolerances.

Having driven home from a weekend a long way away… thus spending a lot longer on the roads that I would normally do… I’m in ranting mood.

I’m fed up with the many drivers who seem to think that the Limit is the starting point… and anyone who is not actually doing the Limit or more… is too dratted slow to be tolerated and must be tail-gated in a bullying attempt to make the person drive faster.

As far as I am concerned… this talk of tolerance etc just gives some people the impression that Limits don’t matter.

and as for plonkers who zoom past despite dangerous conditions/double lines/markings… aaaargh

end of rant…

have a nice day… :hugs:

1 Like

Totally agree. It’s a speed limit, not a speed target.

Rant away :slight_smile:

But slow/over cautious drivers can be a pain as well.

BillyB said “Also do not forget that your speedo is likely to be reading lower than true road speed - in our Mazda last week 85mph indicated = 130kph displayed on the satnav. This somewhat feeds into myths about tolerances.”

85mph indicated 80.6 mph true speed. Like most your speedo reads from 5-10% over your true speed as does mine.

1 Like

I heartily agree.

But there I am keeping around 2 or maybe 3 kph under the Limit … but it’s too slow for those dratted pests…
Obviously going up and down the hills even I have been known to flicker just over the Limit… a blip… that’s all… and smoothly rectified.

The others zoom past then have to stamp on their brakes or go into the back of whatever is up front… they obviously didn’t have my lovely driving instructor (long suffering soul that he was… he taught me how to driver properly). :hugs:

I started using Waze today. I like the fact that it displays actual speed plus the speed limit and bleeps if you are over the limit which is easily done when it changes so frequently.