Rodez, Castres, Albi, Gaillac, Foix

Many thanks for your comprehensive feedback, Mark - we are very grateful.

Yes Martin, Lavaur is nice and not too big. The Saturday market is very good and the town boasts some nice restaurants. We seriously considered Lavaur but found a bargain not to be missed in Lescure. Lavour is famous for having a Jacamard which is a bell tower where the figures pop out on the hour etc. Quite a rarity in France.
Rabastens is also very nice with its river etc. Lisle sur Tarn has oodles of character but lacks services imo.
Figeac is a lovely place but Cahors is more practical imo as it’s an easy hop to Toulouse either by car or train.

I have been here 17 years and live 5klm from Castres between Castres and Lautrec. Love where I live -peace and quiet- big town nearby if needs be- good schools - modern hospitals with good Surgeons/Doctors - great vets. Small airport which goes to Paris and trains to Toulouse. Lots to do Art/Music wise etc. Plenty of beautiful places to walk/fish etc. I go to Albi sometimes - nice but touristy and too many people. My two penny worth.

1 Like

Lautrec is a nice place, rather touristy also but handy for Castres and Realmont, another nice town.
Albi can get busy in the summer hols like many places but the other ten months of the year it’s pretty quiet.

1 Like

Realmont is nice. Quaint and property is cheaper than Castres/Albi. Not rows and rows of suburbia. Albi tends to be a bit suburban. My grandson and family live there in a road of houses - walking distance from the centre.
Depends what you want.

Thank you Margaret - this is very helpful. And thanks Peter again.