Safeguards when buying a 2nd hand car

The differences you refer to are, in music, called variations on a theme.

1 Like

If I saw something like that, I would run a mile believe me! This situation is a little different in that there is no upfront payment - the money would be paid to the delivery guy, i.e. when the car is physically sitting in the driveway. I'm waiting to see how he answers a couple of questions I put to him. If he's reluctant, it will prove you're spot on!

I concur with everyone else. This is clearly a scam. Do not even reply to the mail. I hope you have not already sent any personal details.

Nicholas

Sorry Val, this is an obvious scam. Payment in cash, transporter ... and why tell you that he has a new job with an airline company? Other than to pull the wool over your eyes. Not to mention the grammatical errors J'ai voulu le vendre should be la vendre, etc etc.

Never pay anyone in cash for a purchase of this sort.

Ask him to send you a scan of the carte grise and his driving licence before you will continue: I bet he refuses.

Don't do it! Sounds like an all too common scam.

I have had several instances in the past where I saw an ad for what seemed like a great deal. When I contacted the owner about the car I would get a reply saying that they were working out of town and needed to get rid of the car. They will offer to ship the car to you at no cost but they will ask you to put money in escrow, supposedly to protect both parties. It sounds good until you do a little research and find out that the escrow company is bogus.

See http://www.justaskasa.com/wp/?p=1101

Valerie,

Adding my 2 cents, I guess in your case it would be 2p, worth, as a former policeman my advice is to forget the whole thing. I don't yet read or write French well enough to comment on the email but if your computer savvy enough (I'm not) you can figure out from the complete headers where this email came from. All that aside, my question is, how did you find out about this car in the first place? But enough folks, based on the email, have already expressed the opinion of a scam so I'd be inclined to agree.

If Bing translator is accurate, and even if it's close, 1: Nobody pays transportation costs in advance because you don't know how much until you know where. 2: The transporter doesn't need all this info. All he needs in a phone number.

There are a number of other factors but if I were you, I wouldn't even consider this. And I wouldn't respond to anymore emails.

Good luck,

Bruce

Thank you. Am checking out the links.

exactly, it's all in the link I posted above ;-)

I think you need a certificate de non gage which should tell you about history and any finance charges on the car also known as a certificat de situation I think and covers traffic fines etc too.

It can't be done like that, Val, ther are several forms that you both need to fill in. Sorry I haven't got the time to look them up now but I've bought and sold various vehicles here and this sounds like a real con! this gives you the details ;-)

Thanks Ben. Going off to have a read...

You could try the "Prefecture" but in this case I'm very convinced it's a scam. The spelling mistakes are too obvious and this is most probably just be one of those "too good to be true" offers. (See also http://www.webcarcenter.com/conseils/arnaque.php )

There is also a form which you should get when buying / selling which states that there is no outstanding finance etc. on the car. People don't always insist on it but you are perfectly within your rights to - it is somewhere on gouv.fr....

But anyway as I said in chat and others have agreed - scam!

Thanks Ben. I did email him back asking whether the car has a current CT and asking for its location so I can go view it. If he gets back to me I'll ask for a copy - good idea. Do you know where I could then check its validity?

Smells fishy to me too. I wouldn't buy a car from someone in those circumstances, it's like meeting someone behind the local pub, rather than at the cars legal registered address.

Sorry Val, this seems a bit "fishy" to me. But anyway, if you want to investigate further reply by asking the details of the transporter and for a copy of the mandatory recent (less then 6 months old) "Contrôle Technique". On this document you will find the necessary data to check the validity of the car. If any information on this document is erased or made unreadable, then it's a fraud and just forget it.

I'm pasting his email to me which I can only Google translate but the gist seems to be he's away for work, doesn't want to have the car sitting there so has made arrangements. Would really value your advice.

Bonsoir
J'accuse bonne réception de votre message concernant ma voiture "Renault Scenic" qui est toujours disponible à vendre au prix de x€. Il n'a subi aucun désagrément et vous n'aurez aucun frais de réparation à prévoir. Tous les papiers sont à jour. J'ai voulu le vendre suite à mon nouveau boulot que j'ai eu dans une compagnie aérienne hors je ne veux pas que ma voiture court un risque d'abandon. Je vous confirme le prix c'est bien x€ y compris les frais de transport. Avant mon départ j'ai du confier ma voiture à un transporteur particulier qui est chargé de la livraison. Car vous n'aurez plus rien à lui payer que le prix de ma voiture en espèce (x€) à votre domicile car j'ai déjà réglé tous les frais de transport. Et si mon offre vous intéresse toujours, veuillez me laisser vos coordonnées que me réclame le transporteur afin de prendre contacte avec vous le plutôt possible pour une livraison rapide et fiable à votre domicile dans les jours à suivre;
(Nom..................Prénom.............Rue........... Code postal ............. Ville ........... Téléphone fixe................ Téléphone Portable ..............................) dans le but de conclure les transactions.
Merci de donner suite et de me tenir.

I don't know how much the car is but remember it is illegal to use cash in a transaction over a certain amount (€1000 I think ).. Sounds like a scam..

I've had responses like that (practically the same wording) when I've messaged for what seem like bargain cars on leboncoin. I always figured it was a scam and they were just after my personal details, so I never responded again.