School uniforms in France

I didn’t like wearing school uniform but it was practical, no dithering and sighing over what to wear every day. Difficult to play truant too, and easy to spot the pupils on school outings.
Once home then it had to be changed, hung up carefully and this was a sort of ‘release’ from the school day.
I am all in favour, what do others think ?

Already discussed this here. More views would be great though.

1 Like

Oops, sorry Mandy. It was just strange to see a French town actually voting for school uniforms …

1 Like

Yes I agree. Very unusual. A good idea though in my opinion.

Will be interesting to hear more views.

Definitely not. For one kids grow fast enough without needing one set of clothes for school and one for home.
For two and more importantly (IMO) because the kids in France get to express their little selves during school hours (but within reason and within the framework of having to wear ‘decent’ clothes), they don’t, especially the girls, feel the need to go out at the weekend looking like off duty hookers.
Having moved mine from France to the UK and seen how their UK contemporaries dress / look on FB over the years, I can report this pretty much as being A GenuineFact. :slight_smile:
I take the point about equality but…I went to a grammar school with uniform and was bullied (or rather people tried to) because of my clearly second hand uniform.
Since we’ve been in France we’ve never had oodles of money and my kids have never worn ‘brands’ (and thankfully now they wouldn’t want to) and they very quickly worked out that the ‘popular’ kids were the ones with 300€ trainers and that envying them was a pointless life exercise on the grounds that nothing in life is fair, no one gets treated exactly the same and once you get beyond brevet level, your academic ability is far more important than what you are wearing.
So as you can tell (!) I am definitely against uniforms!

School uniform (Workington Tech’) was an absolute ‘rip off’!
We had to have blazer, trousers, shirt, tie, socks, black shoes, sports gear and stuff like tech drawing instruments etc.
Most of this was available from only one retailer, so the market was ‘cornered’, and us growing kids needed a new outfit, pretty much, annually, at considerable expence to my ‘hard pushed’ parents.

1 Like

And your point is?

2 Likes

Same here - hence the second hand uniform sale!

1 Like

Not something we tend to do here! We have better things to do and prefer to treat our readers as adults.
Thanks!

Obviously if it was a massive subject with one post running into the thousands and another on exactly the same subject with three replies we might do something, but otherwise we are generally happy to go with the flow. :slight_smile:

Sorry Dominic, I won’t be replying to you on this subject again. I feel I have made our policy quite clear and hope you now understand.

On uniforms its part of the desire to make us all conform - so should be fought at every chance.

As Ctaherine said above - it just labels you far more than any other clothes. Who are the kids in the odd green blazers - oh just the kids from the council estate… One proper supplier where a blazer cost more than my dads suit - so guess what - its a green jacket - anything green will do, So half of us were just mis matched green/ish blazers.

This was a bog standard state school in a mining town - headmaster has weird ideas of grandeur - we didn’t have class we had “Houses” cos the posh schools do. He tried enforcing the official uniform in his first week - about 30-40 us got told off and sent home. We repeated this for a week - by the second day we took the football with us to save walking home to collect it. After 3 days of stalemate - letters went to parents - parents were mainly mining families - in 1976 that meant en masse bolshie miners descending on him. He stopped sending us home after that…

3 Likes

It seems that School uniforms can cause a furore… in more ways than one… :zipper_mouth_face::thinking::wink::wink:

'Tis true that we sometimes have “double-up” threads… or similar threads… but that’s just how it goes…

Mandy’s (School Uniforms) was last replied to on 4th June… after that … SILENCE :hushed:

Ann started hers (School uniforms in France) yesterday… 23rd July… and, almost within minutes, Mandy swiftly posted a link to the earlier one … (well done Mandy) :grin:

Hence anyone who had already posted on the June thread… did not need to post again on this July thread…unless they particularly wish to… :thinking:

3 Likes

We’ve experienced both uniform (in the UK) and non uniform here and we preferred the French way simply because as Catherine said kids have growth spurts and we were forever buying new uniforms throughout the school year,at least with ordinary clothes we got more use out of them.

I too went to a Grammar/Boarding school (I know hard to believe) and we stood out and were picked on by kids from Secondary Mods, although even without school uniform we still would have stood out as we didn’t have webbed feet and six fingers on each hand (the last bit was a joke as I’m from Norfolk where webbed feet is all the fashion as is inbreeding).

4 Likes

We have extended family in Norfolk… I’ll have to check their feet… :wink::relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like