Serious question: is there any decent coffee in France?

Where can I buy the Malongo? Any supermarket?

Must be reasonably available. I’ve seen ads on TV for it.

1 Like

We buy it from superU

Not very observant of me. I’m pleased that Fairtrade goods are available.

Lovely, thank you Brian! He was closed by the time I got back to him today but I am back in Le Dorat next week so will make sure I time it better and get a few bags to try. Have you tried all 6 roasts? I will make sure one of my first bags is the Malabar Moussone after your recommendation!

If you check the packaging a lot of Spanish coffee has added sugar! I always wondered why it tasted so nice…

Yes - his opening hours don’t always correspond precisely to what’s on Google Maps - or his front door!

Don’t get too many in one go - I get a fortnight’s supply at a time. After a month or so it’s obvious they’re not as fresh (but still far fresher than beans you’d get in a supermarket!)

P.S . I have no idea why I said he was in Bellac - I’ve now corrected the original post…

1 Like

A serious question deserves a serious answer. Yes, there’s a great deal of decent coffee in France.

However, I respectfully suggest that if people buy cheap, pre-packaged, ready ground coffee from a supermarket, their expectations shouldn’t be too high. One has no idea how long ago it was ground or what type of beans were used. But, if you absolutely have to buy this sort of coffee, at least ensure that it’s 100% arabica from a reasonable brand such as Lavazza and check the sell by date, which can be far too generous

If you really want better coffee, begin by exploring and discovering what type of beans and roast you prefer, also do you prefer it made in a piston or an espresso machine?

The journey to coffee perfection can be lengthy -thirty or forty years ago, I preferred espresso originally made in a Moka and then a Gaggia. Later gradually shifted to lighter roasted, Central American beans freshly ground in a hundred year old Peugeot mill and brewed in a piston. About ten years ago discovered the range of single estate Central African coffees that can be bought online from Union Coffee. Also discovered from my hipster little brother how different coffee is if made in an Aeropress, For the past few years I’ve been buying Ethiopian Moka Sidamo that’s grown at high altitude 1500-2000m and I’ve found nothing better for my taste than the Aeropress.

On the other hand, my other half only fairly recently discovered the coffee world (and still has it with milk!!!). Nevertheless, she carefully worked out what she likes and now buys Brazilian bobolink from a local coffee roaster. Unfortunately, she lacks the patience for brewing coffee, so has it ground at the shop and uses an espresso machine. But, given time perhaps…

If anyone’s had the patience to read this far, you might be forgiven for thinking this is all a bit too much and you might well be right - below is just part of my coffee grinder collection

5 Likes

Unfortunately Fairtrade isn’t a guarantee of good coffee because the Fairtrade price doesn’t encourage growers to pick each bean at its optimum ripeness. However, there are US and UK coffee producers who teach growers how to maximise the quality of their beans and then pay them much higher prices for their crop than Fairtrade. Union Coffee is one such company and you can buy online in France and the UK

My recipe… good Arabica grains, freshly roasted if you can get them, and a machine that heats the water, grinds the beans and brews the coffee. And if you like frothy milk cappucinos you need a machine with a frothing jug. It’s expensive for the first cup, but after a few years the cost has gone right down! Most coffees have an indication of strength on the packet so it’s possible to avoid the “corsé” ones.

oh dear :frowning:

Thanks Graham, I remember Simon looking for good coffee :coffee:

1 Like

Looking at this thread it makes me glad I can’t stand coffee, tea or wine, too much of a faff, expense and hard work, my choice is easy, milk, water or diet cola.

1 Like

Intermarché’s Planteur des Tropiques in an enormous golden brick, usually to be found on the bottom shelf, available as either beans or ready-ground, is perfect for an old Italian Bialetti coffeepot.

2 Likes

Seconded…makes a huge difference. We accidentally forgot a pack of beans for a few weeks, by which time it really didn’t’ make as nice a cop of coffee as the first freshly roasted pack.

We do have different making methods/machines for different moods. Can’t beat a Bialetti for characterful coffee, but our Sage is reliably great.

I have never understood what people see in coffee, I hate the stuff but each to their own.
A strong cup of Yorkshire tea hits the spot every time😁

1 Like

Of course, some posters (though not me, heaven forbid!) might observe that milk isn’t a suitable drink foradults and that cola should probably be avoided at any age. I’ve only had one Coke in the last forty years and haven’t needed a filling in this century.

1 Like

Never needed a filling in my life and I wouldn’t say coffee is the best thing health-wise either :wink:, love the smell of coffee but hate the taste, wine just tastes of vinegar.

The same with hamburgers at the funfair back in my youth.
The smell of them was delightful but the taste :nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

I drink litres of both every day :grin: a bit of milk in the tea, coffee black, no sugar in either.