Should MPs, UK or French, have second jobs?

Well Starmer is screwed then.

1 Like

I think only three Labour MPs have outside jobs and he’s not one of them.

To be honest the Lewes MP Maria Caulfield (and perhaps others, but she is the one I saw) desperately attempted to get so much political capital from doing so it was pretty disgusting. I could quite imagine in a decades time every leaflet put through the door will still feature her in her PPE with a glowing account of how she single-handedly saved the world from covid by selflessly going back to being a nurse or whatever it was. It immediately made me think at the time that if MPs are allowed to use a global pandemic in such a sleazy way then perhaps it would have been better if they were not allowed to do it at all. I’m not sure whether I still feel like that as I’m sure some stayed out of the limelight and just quietly did the work, but since you mentioned this exact situation I thought I’d chime in.

How odd, he has declared over 100K in ‘other’ earnings since becoming an MP in 2015 including 18K in 2021.

For work done before he became leader. Since then he has not. So it is true to say that as of now (well, since 2020) he hasn’t. He’s a hypocrite, but not as much as you are trying to make out.

Caroline Lucas suggested job share (Question time)
Real world experience is a must, before given a job where your vote can effect so many lives.

So effectively he’s an ‘ex hypocrite’ a bit like a former smoker who tells people off for smoking. :grinning:

1 Like

I have no problem with that if they’ve learnt the error of their ways :joy:

2 Likes

Sorry Tim, I’m just looking at the current situation.

5 Likes

Our MP is a solicitor and I have written to her today expressly asking what she thinks of the latest shenanigans.

She’ll probably quote you a £100 for her opinion :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

And if she doesn’t you give the right answer what will you do, push for deselection? :grinning:

I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself there Tim.

1 Like