Should the UK and the rest of us continue the lockdown?

Maybe the camera angles were wrong, but social distancing at Wembley today looks suspect :thinking:

Telephoto lenses make things look closer together.

1 Like

Great game though, glad Leicester won.

2 Likes

Yes it was nice for Leicester to have their first FA win. My husband has a soft spot for Chelsea :face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink:

I have a good mate in Leicester who said the locals were out on the streets celebrating. I was hoping for a Leicester win because of him but also mainly for the people who have been through more harsh lockdowns than most of the UK over the past 15 months or so.

Why delay by 2 weeks as one expert is suggesting? At the current rate of vaccination that will only be about 1.5 million more people with a first vaccination. How does that make much of a difference? If we are to delay then why not until all adults are vaccinated?
Also, the example of schools reopening more than 2 months ago shows that higher infection rates are not inevitable if people are sensible - a forlorn hope I imagine :pensive:
Any changes at the last minute will be seriously unpopular and BJ hates being unpopular so can’t see it happening.
Wondering when this all ends?! :roll_eyes:
Izzy x

Never Izzy. Sadly, this is our Brave New World.

2 Likes

It makes a lot of difference if you concentrate vaccination efforts where there are hot spots especially if they also correspond with areas lower than average vaccine take-up which is the case (so far) with the Indian variant.

Big “if”.

1 Like

Is that the current plan then? They need to get on with it. So frustrating now.
Izzy x

There’s a bit of evidence that they are trying - vaccination buses which are offering jabs on a walk-in basis have appeared in Bolton I believe. Probably could do with more of an effort.

In fact I suspect that the vaccination programme in general (and also across Europe) is going to have to switch gear from offering jabs to those that want them to going out and getting the less keen vaccinated.

1 Like

Matt Hancock on Andrew Marr show this morning said (according to the BBC):

"In Bolton there are 18 people in hospital with coronavirus, with the majority of those not having the jab despite being eligible, the health secretary said.

He added that five people had ended up in hospital having had one jab, while there was one there who had received both doses but was “frail”."

If they were eligible but hadn’t had the vaccine then that’s just bloody annoying. :disappointed:

I cannot for the life of me understand how if your dog fouls the pavement you get fined but if you refuse to be vaccinated and pass Covid on to someone else who becomes ill or perhaps dies, then that’s perfectly OK.

2 Likes

Well, vaccinated people can still infect others too. Less but apparently still there

And with dog excrement there’s evidence

Well if Test and Trace are doing their job well enough?, there should be evidence too.

Test & Trace have performed exactly as intended - it has made a very small number of people very rich, which was its main purpose.

6 Likes

5 Likes

Terribly bad taste Graham but :laughing:

1 Like

My Kenny Everett moment Paul :wink:

Do we go along with all those who say that people who have chosen not to be vaccinated should not be stigmatised because they are causing harm to others, the hopefully, returning economy or not?
The huge majority of the UK population have suffered from lockdown , lost jobs and financial ruin and yet the highest percentages of deaths have been in these same populations who are reluctant to be vaccinated.
The Government says that they are doing as much as possible to increase awareness of the need to be vaccinated, but what dies that really mean?
We have come so far and it is now unbelievable that everything should go to pot because a small percentage of the population are reluctant, for whatever, reason to be vaccinated.