Should the UK and the rest of us continue the lockdown?

That is so disappointing. We would have managed the quarantine.
We - UK citizens would have been in a far better position had our incompetent PM acted in a timely manner.

The problem I suspect is the India diaspora now constitutes a very significant part of the UK. Planes from there have continued to land in the UK in great numbers and families have mingled. It would politically have been a brave decision to stop planes. Multigenerational households also sadly more vulnerable particularly when they have children mixing at school.

Hong Kong banned flights from India after 40 people tested positive for Covid on one plane, landing from there. Every single person found positive had a cettificate that they were negative at the time they boarded the plane a few hours earlier. Either there are lab testing quality issues in India, or PCR testing is not that reliable, or the Indian variant really is of concern.

But yes I agree with you. Last year I had no idea why all the planes from New York were not being stopped by the UK when the virus there was at its peak and this year I have no idea why planes from India are not very, very few and only for essential travel.

1 Like

It looks like Brits who have had two vaccine jabs can now travel to France as long as they have a negative result in a covid test.

But I think they still have to self-isolate for 10 days and have covid tests when they go back to the UK.

1 Like