Sitting outside

Flies bother me indoors, because windows are usually open during fine weather, and if they’re not, the cat door with its missing flap is wide open and they come in that way. What bothers me is the noise they make, especially in the kitchen. If it gets too loud, I open the kitchen window (usually shut during summer) and wave a tea towel around wildly in the air, they don’t like that, and away they go. The sudden silence is quite magical.

Mozzies don’t seem to bother me much now, but if I hear that faint whining buzz in the bedroom while awake, the lights come on and out comes the spray or a swatter. If I don’t hear them and fall asleep, I might wake up in the morning, on the odd occasion, with a small lump on my face! Gotten used to it.

And if the occasional hornet, wasp or bumble bee comes in I open a window and gently usher them out – they don’t want to be indoors anyway and usually go out through the open window like good boys.

Not bothered by any of them outdoors. I rarely eat outdoors in the evening, so maybe I would be if I did. But I don’t!

Yes - I’ve been thinking about this since my post a few days ago - really it’s the decline of insect numbers that we should be worrying about, isn’t it ?

3 Likes

Wow… reading all these experiences/problems you folk are having… makes me thankful we live where we do and have more/less made our house flying-insect-proof. windows are open as often as possible, with no worries.

Outdoors nature is our friend.
We have squadrons of swifts and swallows throughout the summer days/evenings… they munch whatever is on offer.
Bats swishing by in the evening are obviously grazing in flight… and we have nightjars working hard too…

By day, the lavender beds attracts the bees and hummingbird moths etc (glorious) but might well be helping keep biters away… who knows.

EDIT we have dragonflies patrolling in summer… I believe they eat mozzies etc.
yes, we have the odd persistent buzzer, if eating outside, but nothing major

noticed a marked decline in our lizard population this year.

Anyone know how to trap/repel the shield-shaped stink bugs?

I made the great mistake of leaving an un-mossi meshed window open yesterday when the maize field across the way was been cut and found a room full of the stinky sods.

Bagged industrial vacuum to the rescue.

Don’t use your Dyson (other bagless vacuums are available) to clean up these as you’ll fill the room full of hot dead bug stench and your Dyson will honk for weeks afterwards unless you clean the HEPA filter thoroughly.

2 Likes

Turn those pesky insects and crawlers in to a sport, get your self a Bug-A-Salt. You can even fit a laser sight to tease the cat out of season.

Good grief… :roll_eyes:

I’m hoping it’s a joke :wink:

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s real.

Why would it be a joke?

salt is not something I would want to be scattering… willy-nilly… that’s all

and I’m not enamoured with the contraption either…

I’m doing my best to help with the declining Asian Hornets, Mozzies and Flies. Everything else is a friend.

Smiled at that - you never see scenes like that in the glossies -