Smartphone questions

fine enjoy being ‘throttled’ then :woozy_face:
rsync to a couple of usb sticks, hide one in your underpants! not the ones you’re wearing :rofl:

1 Like

there are 2 types of organisations, those that know they have been compromised and those that don’t know
Bon courage :slightly_smiling_face:

and if your house catches fire?

don’t worry we’ll all be long gone because of the ‘deadly virus’ :crazy_face:

A case where ignorance truly is bliss !

1 Like

Quite a few of these comments could relate directly to my underpants…

There’s obviously no convincing you about the benefits of cloud storage @davew so I’ll walk away.
Dropbox did have a data breach some time ago and they notified people who may have been affected and provided further strong support such as a newly strengthened password requirement to protect data and MFA if required. I received such a notification and complied with their suggested requirement but there was absolutely no evidence that my data was compromised.
If some no-mark wants to trawl through terabytes of my data looking for something compromising, they’ll be sorely disappointed in the results from their enterprise :wink:
But, as you say, each to his own…

a link from Dropbox

In 2000 one of our clients was in the insurance industry. Backup/redundancy was at the heart of their business. So they had two mirrored backup locations, both in New York. One was in World Trade Centre Tower One.

I probably don’t need to tell you where they kept the mirror…

2 Likes

apparently a large datacentre in France has just burnt down lol

Interesting situation…surprising that a whole data center building can be destroyed particularly when owned by OVH. Shows how day to day activity is so now dependant on such places…we may not like it but that’s the way the world is. OVH seem to have a well rehearsed communication and disaster recovery plan.
Just imagine if “enemy” organisations could simultaneously take out a series of such centers across Europe and N America, we would all see a very significant effect on day to day life for at least several weeks.

OVH…not a small player:

OVH , legally OVH Groupe SAS, is a French cloud computing company that offers VPS, dedicated servers and other web services. OVH owns the world’s largest data center in surface area. It is the largest hosting provider in Europe, and the third largest in the world based on physical servers.

I have a small dedicated server with OVH - thankfully not in that building.