Smoking Food

When I visit a friend in Suffolk we always head here….

https://www.suffolksmokehouse.net/

1 Like

Longe de porc maybe? You can get it on or off the bone and a slice looks like a bit of back bacon.

Just posted in Good news that I have just become the proud owner of a smoker.

Any advice on where to find ideas on how to start off smoking.

An Idiots guide to smoking would be quite good.

Andy

Sorry if you are not a complete idiot :joy:

1 Like

I was somehow reminded of this.

2 Likes

AM

Absolutely brilliant film ---- Frying Tonight !

2 Likes

Corona

I ask and SF delivers

Andy

Yes, that’s similar, but not the same. I’m kicking myself for not writing the name down, or even buying one for the freezer.
Edit: Just had another trawl of the internet, and the closest I can find is carré de côtes sans os. This is what is used I think for pork chops (but avec os), which the internet says is what is used for bacon in the UK.

1 Like

There is also the one that @DrMarkH recommended above. I got it and it is very good (and straightforward :smiley: )

This pleases me enormously…

We have a huge maple which for some unknown reason previous owners planted under an electricity line. So we have to have it pruned every couple of years. The long straight branches get used for bean poles, and then brought in in Autumn and chopped up for kindling. But this year I’ve used the circular saw, so have maple sawdust for smoking…. Can’t get much more local than that!

4 Likes

It’s a nice bright dry day today, so we’re having our first attempt at cold-smoking salmon (and also some pollack, much recommended by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall). This gives us a chance to try it before Christmas Eve so we can dash down to the butcher’s and get some posh stuff if it’s disgusting :smiley:

Will report back…

3 Likes

My experience of smoking is that food can take a day or 2 to settle down, with flavours a little coarse at first. Hope it works well for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You’ll soon know if it doesn’t :rofl:

I smoked some haddock a few weeks ago with my maple dust using a spiral thingy for prodicung the smoke (rather than going to the effort of hooking up all the flues to the outdoor smoker and lighting a fire,

My problem was that the spiral burnt too quickly, it didn’t go round the spiral but burnt from side to side. So only two hours smoking, and got a bit too hot. So too much for the cheese, which was ok but a touch over smoked, and too little for the fish which also cooked a bit. Great for the eggs tho’! And all edible

Not sure what I did wrong….

We’ve been using the spiral thingy and have the reverse situation - after 4 to 5 hours, it’s still only a third burned through. However, the flavour on our first attempts was good so I’m not too worried.

Some possibilities about burning too quickly @JaneJones - was the sawdust slightly compressed into the spiral (you know “pressed down but not too much” :roll_eyes: ). The other thing that was mentioned to me was that the sawdust shouldn’t spill over the tip of the spiral’s walls or it ignites the next bit as well, so should be dusted off. Any possibility of it being one of those?

1 Like

The spiral should take around 8-12 hours with a full load, depending on moisture content and size of dust particles.

If there’s a problem with the burning front crossing the divider then make sure that the dust isn’t piled too high in the spiral and especially that it doesn’t overlap the divider. Just occasionally I have seen the burn cross the divider despite being scrupulous, but it doesn’t happen often.

Two minds with but a single thought there @Ancient_Mariner :smiley:

1 Like

Hmmm. I didn’t press down and in fact scooped out some so it didn’t get too high. Maybe just bad luck! So if works for you both I will try again (especially as still not keen to dig out the big smoker currently buried in snow and ice….

Not too much lost by having another go - most definitely worth perfecting the technique involved in not going out into snow and ice :smiley:

While you are here, @JaneJones - we’ve taken the stuff out of the smoker, having included a couple of eggs after you mentioned them. Now the big question I have is - how do you eat smoked eggs once you’ve got them? :rofl:

The classic is a devilled egg, but I can’t be bothered popping out the yolks and mushing them up and piping them back into the shells in true Delia style. So I just chop the whole thing and turn it into a smoked egg mayonnaise type thing that I find works beautifully with pumpernickel, but any bread will do.

In quarters with avocado as a lunch time salad.

Dropped whole into vegetable sauces/curries/etc as added protein and flavour

Chopped into a fish pie

If I’m in super chef mode I do a bastardised sauce grebiche with the yolks and give the whites to the dog….

1 Like